Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 04:46 AM

Default Exploitable Strategies and Multi-Tabling

It seems obvious that there are many strategies in holdem that are extremely profitable against opponents that do not adjust, but absolutely terrible against opponents that do not find the proper counter-strategy. All the 2+2 books mention this.

It can take a good number of sessions of single-table live play to detect some of these things. I'm not talking about stuff like raising every hand, or always calling from the blinds. I'm thinking about things like only putting in a fourth bet on the flop when planning to take a free card, or always check-raising the river with a made draw, or never checkraising the turn at all. (These are all examples of things that aren't super important (i.e. you're not costing youself a ton of money by not picking up on them). But they do count for something. And I can come up with more costly examples. E.g. see my mid-high stakes post). Most of these faults are going to be of the "not varying one's play enough" variety, but they're not the only possible ones.

So now you're multi-tabling online. The chances of spotting something like this seems to be pretty close to zero. So how much do you think this costs you?

Also, do you think that some of your opponents consciously not vary their play, or use some other exploitable strategy knowing that even good players won't pick up on it, because they're not paying enough attention?

Do you yourself find yourself using strategies you wouldn't use live, because you know that most opponents won't catch on?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Exploitable Strategies and Multi-Tabling

I have a list of players that I look for who are habitual multi table players. They all have a couple of common exploitable traits. I have three main strategies against these players.

- I always sit just before them. I then open the other tables they are playing at, but only as an observer. If they raise on another table - I raise. They want to concentrate on the other table so will usally fold.

- I SLOW down my play when the pace is faster on the other tables. They all tend to auto check/fold on slower tables.

- One of them (I like this one) NEVER check raises. So - when they check to me I raise (always). I would have thought they would have learnt by now - but they have followed this pattern for > 6 months and I exploit it a few times a week.

--
orion
Old 12-02-2004, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a list of players that I look for who are habitual multi table players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to sit with multi-tablers? They are usually good players.. this doesn't make any sense to me. Are you actively seeking them out or just keeping an eye out for them?

[ QUOTE ]
I then open the other tables they are playing at, but only as an observer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to far by doing this.. there's just no point.

[ QUOTE ]
If they raise on another table - I raise. They want to concentrate on the other table so will usally fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still have 8 other players to worry about, why would you raise just because one seat might be playing tighter than normal? Besides, when I multitable, my preflop strategy doesn't change one bit, I don't fold on one table just because I raised on another.

[ QUOTE ]
I SLOW down my play when the pace is faster on the other tables. They all tend to auto check/fold on slower tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pace of the game has nothing to do with what I'm going to do with my hand. Seems like you're needlessly slowing down the game by doing this.

[ QUOTE ]
One of them (I like this one) NEVER check raises. So - when they check to me I raise (always).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're thinking about the other players in the hand when you always bet when he checks.

BTW, my response is not mean spirited at all, it's just my opinions, don't take it the wrong way. Welcome to the forums.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a list of players that I look for who are habitual multi table players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to sit with multi-tablers? They are usually good players.. this doesn't make any sense to me. Are you actively seeking them out or just keeping an eye out for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usally play 3 or 4 tables at time - does that make me good!
I am not searching for these players, if I notice them I can use approaches I originally sent, but only only as modification to my normal play.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I then open the other tables they are playing at, but only as an observer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to far by doing this.. there's just no point.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is to gain information without giving information.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they raise on another table - I raise. They want to concentrate on the other table so will usally fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still have 8 other players to worry about, why would you raise just because one seat might be playing tighter than normal? Besides, when I multitable, my preflop strategy doesn't change one bit, I don't fold on one table just because I raised on another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should clarified that these really only work short handed. I had thought that would have been obvious. If can get one player to fold in HU (and I have rags) - it is wonderful. 3 handed it is good (as long as you have a read on the remaining player). 10 handed it would be 'not a winning proposition'

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I SLOW down my play when the pace is faster on the other tables. They all tend to auto check/fold on slower tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pace of the game has nothing to do with what I'm going to do with my hand. Seems like you're needlessly slowing down the game by doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again - short handed or HU this works with the players I have identified.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of them (I like this one) NEVER check raises. So - when they check to me I raise (always).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're thinking about the other players in the hand when you always bet when he checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course....
Overall this is not an automatic response when I see them at the table. If I am at the table with them and the situation is favorable, I gain an edge by influencing thier behavior based on information from other tables.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, my response is not mean spirited at all, it's just my opinions, don't take it the wrong way. Welcome to the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am big enough and ugly enough to stand a little criticism. I assume that you on *not* on my 'players who play multiple tables and can be influenced.'

Thanks for the welcome.

--
orion