Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Statzzzzzzzzzzz

Are you 4-tabling? Because Byron is 4 tabling, and I was playing at least 4 tables in my set of 400, that's what I was referring to. I would agree that you can do better than 25% if you are playing 1-2 tables.

Irieguy
Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 PM

Default Question for eastbay

How much of your ROI would you attribute to game selection (incl. choosing what time of day/day of week to play as well as watching out for strong players)?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Question for eastbay

[ QUOTE ]
How much of your ROI would you attribute to game selection (incl. choosing what time of day/day of week to play as well as watching out for strong players)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: strong players, the answer is easy: zero, or at most, negligible. There are two or three players that I see often enough that I might skip a SnG if I see them, but that's very, very rare. Maybe once a week.

As for time of day... hmm. Good question. I don't know the answer because my playing times have been fairly consistent throughout my poker history. I play US west coast evenings, anywhere from between 6 pm and 1 or 2 am. I think that's pretty good "game selection", as far as catching the overpaid, undereducated US populace at their drunken heights. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (Hey, I'm an American, too. It's just the truth.)

eastbay
Old 11-20-2004, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you 4-tabling? Because Byron is 4 tabling, and I was playing at least 4 tables in my set of 400, that's what I was referring to. I would agree that you can do better than 25% if you are playing 1-2 tables.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. Most of that is 2 or 3-tabling. Lately I have been 4-tabling. Jury is still out.

eastbay
Old 11-20-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Thanks (n/m)

Old 11-21-2004, 12:32 AM

What country do you live in that doesn't have gambling taxes?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:58 AM

england
Old 03-02-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I've played 400 $55 SNGs and my ROI is 19%. I agree with Aleo on just about everything he said, and would go so far as to say that 25%+ ROI at that level is not sustainable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. I'm lifetime 26%, and that includes each and every game I've played at $55, including learning periods, etc.

My last 500 or so I am closer to 35%.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

The numbers that I have seen posted lately are telling me that I need to take a seriously look at the way I am playing. My ROI is 20% over about 500 $22 SNGs. I always play four tables and I play a lot during the non-peak hours (east coast weekdays including mornings). I guess I need to pick better times to play and figure out some leaks.

-d1sterbd
Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Question for eastbay

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: strong players, the answer is easy: zero, or at most, negligible. There are two or three players that I see often enough that I might skip a SnG if I see them, but that's very, very rare. Maybe once a week.

As for time of day... hmm. Good question. I don't know the answer because my playing times have been fairly consistent throughout my poker history. I play US west coast evenings, anywhere from between 6 pm and 1 or 2 am. I think that's pretty good "game selection", as far as catching the overpaid, undereducated US populace at their drunken heights. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (Hey, I'm an American, too. It's just the truth.)

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that table selection at 55's is not a very significant variable. There are still too many players at that level to make much of an effort at table selection.

I think the fact that you play only prime hours probably has a much bigger impact in being able to maintain a high ROI than the difference in 2 tabling or 4 tabling. I just passed 1500 55's and my stats show 24.5% ROI in 336 in your time window and 15.3% ROI over 1166 at other times. My total is 17.4% over 1502. Granted, my sample over the prime time window is too small to conclude anything, but I find the difference to be quite significant. Perhaps Irie's assertion that 25%+ ROI is not sustainable may be true for the full time player grinding it out with the other full-timers during the day.

I know I started 4 tabling on Jan 21 when my 20" LCD arrived. I am actually better 4 tabling than I was 2 tabling with overlap. 18.7% over 578 4 tabling and 16.5% over 924 2 tabling. Again, the samples are too small, but I find them interesting. I personally do not believe 4 tabling will have any negative impact on my ROI long term. For me personally, I find 4 tabling also keeps me emotionally centered. It is much easier to shake off bad beats and prevent a negative mindset.

I will give a 2000 55's update as I've decided not to move up as yet.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm nervous of the $109s from what some other posters have said here about dramatic drops in ROI and also the increased varience. I'm playing off a $5k roll (with emergency back up money in bank) and I need to take a minimum $3k a month out. I think I'd want a 10k roll before I take a serious stab at them. The extra rake back is a factor but ideally I want to save that up and take the GF on a nice holiday next year. It seems mad to think that you can make in excess of $3k a month off a $5k roll but that's what's so great about sngs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If $5,000 is all you have and you are living off it I would stick with the $50+5s, seriously maximising income should not be your main objective here. Just my opinion take it as you will. I bought one of those Dell 20" monitors as well, they are the dogs.

Good luck man.

Mack