Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2004, 06:47 PM

Default This one has been bugging me

This hand has been really bugging me. Not sure I played it correctly. The crucial decision point comes preflop so that is where I will take this hand evalaution to.

Table has been tighter than... well, it makes a spring look loose. On average only about 3 people are seeing the flop. Half the pots have been for less than $10 and very few have gone over $15. Only reason I've stayed is because when I have gotten into a pot it has been easy to buy most of the pots with a raise early in the betting if the flop missed my hand.

Reads: most of the players are tight and seem very timid.

Ok, here is the hand. All input is appreciated.

Pacific Poker $1/$2 table. 9 handed.

Hero is MP2.
Hero is dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="red">Hero calls </font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="red">BB raises </font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="red">Hero calls </font>, CO calls, <font color="red">SB reraises </font>, <font color="red">BB caps </font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="red">Hero ??? </font>

I just am not sure what the correct play here is.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: This one has been bugging me

8 9 suited is borderline from MP in a loose game, in a tight game it should have been folded.

Coming back capped? Fold, especially against tight players.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:34 PM

Fold
Old 10-02-2004, 10:37 PM

Hmmm... well, both WLLH and SSH both recommend playing 98 suited from middle position in tight games. While I don't like the hand, it has proven to be +EV enough for me to continue playing it. Also, considering how the table had been running I figured that if the hand missed completely I had a reasonable chance of buying the pot or just folding it cheaply depending on conditions after the flop.

FWIW I did fold this hand.

I think the reason it was bothering me so much, was that I would have flopped the nut hand and it got to be a monster pot (about 25 BB or so). While this normally doesn't bother me when a hand I fold would have won, I think it did this time because I had entered the preflop bidding and didn't like letting the hand go to the capped betting.

Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.