Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Did I just get scared here and play this weakly?

Table has been running a little under 30% seeing the flop (I know it stinks, but it was the only full ring table open at this level) and the average pot for the table is about $4.

Reads: No one at this table that I have any notes on (where do all these new players keep coming from?) and no reads on anyone as this is my first time around the table.

I feel like I played this hand terribly, but the board seemed scary to me. So I'm not sure if I was sensible or just scared. All comments are greatly appreciated.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 09-08-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Did I just get scared here and play this weakly?

I am relatively new here, but I am guessing you could have raised on the flop, if he 3-bets you can either fold (weak) or call. If he bets on the turn you can call (or lay down, but I am thinking this is weak), more likely I am thinking he will check to you in which case you can bet - if he C-R you I would fold, if he calls then on the river if he is holding an A I would think he will call your bet, so if it is check-check to you I would check as well.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:32 PM

can we get another opinion on this, I am curious for future knowledge - thanks!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:39 PM

I would raise the flop. If he 3-bets, call. Its checked to you on the turn - I would bet. If villain c/r then call down.

However, catching the boat on the river I would be raising it. He could be raising with a T, [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]draw; pocket pair 8s, 7s etc. Yes, he could have the 9 or the A but isn't that seeing monsters under your bed? You have second boat 3-way I would be getting some bets in there. But then again, that's just me. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2004, 12:47 PM

This is a higher limit than I play, but on the flop, if you are going to continue the hand, you must raise. When you call, you have no idea where you stand. He could be betting any number of draws, middle or bottom pair, or he could very well have you beat. Raise and see what he does (that also forces SB to call 2 cold and you'd like to see SB out of the hand).

If he re-raises, you can fold unless this guy is a maniac. Taking one more card off is not a terrible play but I don't think you have the odds to spike your 2-outer. If he just calls the raise and checks the turn, you bet. If he check-raises, I would fold. If he calls your flop raise and still bets into you on the turn....well I am not sure what I would do but I think most times you are behind and can fold.

I have never played 0.50/1.00 so take all this with a grain of salt unless someone more experienced backs me up.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise the flop. If he 3-bets, call. Its checked to you on the turn - I would bet. If villain c/r then call down.

However, catching the boat on the river I would be raising it. He could be raising with a T, [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]draw; pocket pair 8s, 7s etc. Yes, he could have the 9 or the A but isn't that seeing monsters under your bed? You have second boat 3-way I would be getting some bets in there. But then again, that's just me. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your response better then mine thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your response better then mine thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. I hope it made sense! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
If he check-raises, I would fold. If he calls your flop raise and still bets into you on the turn....well I am not sure what I would do but I think most times you are behind and can fold.

[/ QUOTE ] I graduated from .25/.50 at PS to .50/1 at PP. PS usually is tighter but without reads I'm not going to fear monsters. If villain 3-bets the river, I might slow down. But I would have to say I'm not laying down my KK at any point on this hand - (not in micros anyway)

I'm still thinking he had poket pair 6s-8s, Js, JdQd, or a T. By the river, I think you can only lose to the remaining 9, Ax, &amp; AA.