Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2004, 03:51 AM

Default Suspicious check

Party 10/20. I raise from the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB makes it 3 bets and the BB calls. I call. SB has shown himself to be fairly aggressive in what I've seen, but all in all, I don't really know the players.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, BB folds, and I call.

Turn is the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks.

I don't like what I did, but I won't tell you what it was yet.

Your plan?
Old 04-11-2004, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Suspicious check

I'd usually raise the flop.

On the turn, I'd usually bet if checked to and usually fold to a check-raise.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:54 AM

Tricky position. A flop raise likely gets 3-bet if this player is as aggressive as you say, he likely puts you on a draw at best. Does he have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? or is he trying to push you off with overcards?

In this position I think I would prefer raising the flop, calling the 3-bet and betting the Turn if checked to and checking behind on the River unimproved. However, this check looks like a CR waiting to happen (he obviously figures you for something, if he thought you were drawing he does not want to give a free card, unless he is drawing as well), which I really don't want, so I probably check behind and call his River bet. He extracts the minimum if he is ahead, and will have to rethink future hands if he wants to trap you for extra bets out of position.

Tough choice to let him take a free card and possibly hit his flush (though I don't think he is folding for one bet if he is drawing), or risk the CR miles behind. Seems weak but I really don't want to feel a complete idiot by getting CR here and seeing a flush or AJ at SD, so I check behind in your position. Your hand is not great here, and I am happy to take the smallish pot at SD without risking a great deal more.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:09 AM

I would have raised the Flop.

But given what you did, I would bet the Turn. What's so suspcious about this check of his? He could have a hand like Ah8h and 3 bet from the Small blind with that (a correct play in my opinion).
Old 04-11-2004, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's so suspcious about this check of his?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The SB's going to bet out on the flop about 95 percent of the time given the preflop action, and seeing a call from an aggressive player will scare him enough that he'll often go into check-fold mode thereafter.