Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 07:56 AM

Default OT: This is obvious right?

As it's been about a year since i started playing online. Tables that I once thought were tough are now seeming so terribly bad that im dsgusted I play at them. I have a small bankroll because I regularly take out money I need to life the life im acustomed to in college. This has me playing mostly 5 dollar sngs. Im not trying to sound cocky but i truly feel like every player but a few are just terrible. Once someone was berrating a player for following a flush and everyone was telling him to shut up and I chimed in explaining the pot odds weren't right for the player to be calling down to the river with just a flush draw. Then about 3 people stated they hate when people say numbers just to sound smart and started joking that I probably read a poker book or something. Am I wrong or is that the most retarted outlook on poker ever. Who wouldn't read a book if they had the chance. The main point is also would it be more profitable for me just to move up a level where the players understand more and wont hand out so many bad beats and make moves I cant understand?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Post deleted by Cola

Old 12-27-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: OT: This is obvious right?

I know I want them to make mistakes. I guess after a ton of bad beats you start to think you might be a little better off with somewhat decent players compared to the payouts. I mean hypothetically its almost like play money. I'd much rather be playing 50 dollar tournies in which i can pull off moves and such when if i win it could be 300 dollars rather then just sitting playing basic sometimes a little off to handle the players for a first place prize of 22.50. Just don't feel like its helping my game or my bankroll.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I want them to make mistakes. I guess after a ton of bad beats you start to think you might be a little better off with somewhat decent players compared to the payouts. I mean hypothetically its almost like play money. I'd much rather be playing 50 dollar tournies in which i can pull off moves and such when if i win it could be 300 dollars rather then just sitting playing basic sometimes a little off to handle the players for a first place prize of 22.50. Just don't feel like its helping my game or my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a big enough bankroll for the $11's, move up, and play them. Then keep doing that until you're at the $55's. If you believe you will do better against better players you are a noob. Besides that, you can learn many things away from the tables, like ICM.

And don't give advice to bad players, ever. Keep your mouth shut, or if you have to say something, compliment them on their horrible plays.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:04 AM

Read the FAQ before posting...
Old 12-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Actually, there is a slight point here.

Sometimes, calling ranges in very low buyin SNGS are so loose on the bubble, it actually hurts you. This is because it is possible for someone to make a -EV call (-ev for them) that is ALSO -EV for you. So this is why I think $22s are superior to $11s, as long as you have over, say.. $800.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, there is a slight point here.

Sometimes, calling ranges in very low buyin SNGS are so loose on the bubble, it actually hurts you. This is because it is possible for someone to make a -EV call (-ev for them) that is ALSO -EV for you. So this is why I think $22s are superior to $11s, as long as you have over, say.. $800.

[/ QUOTE ]

That just means you should tighten up your push range. If they are very loose it means they will frequently pay off your big hands. They don't do that at higher levels.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:21 AM

Honestly I dont get it? You are winning and getting mad at the people you are beating? Poker has NO PLACE for egos and thats the first thing, I would be on my knees thanking the Good Lord that he has given me this soft spot. Never "TEACH" because its a waste of your time and because who is to say what that other man knows, it doesnt matter to me I am here to make money and if I am doing it then I am happy and content yes? For some reason people read a few books and now they want to teach, fine your in college, then maybe start an afterschool group to discuss the fine points of egotistical winning yes? That should be rewarding! Just kidding with ya HAVE FUN ITS A GAME!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:43 AM

im not exactly winnning. im break even really a little less lately in around 500 sngs.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 AM

anyway thanks for all the input. im not bashing bad players. im really not good yet. just trying to understand some parts. with that said i appreciate all the advice