Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 10:07 PM

Default PP NL $400 Hand - AA in BB

I'd like some opinions on this play.

PP NL $400 and UTG+1 limps, MP makes it 4.5 x BB, everyone folds to me with AA in the BB. We all have around $400. UTG+1 is a terrible player who will limp in from EP with any above average hand and I've seen him limp from EP only to fold to medium sized raises twice this session. If he sees a flop, he is a station and will pay ANY amount to draw, and he is not tricky at all. When he hits hard, he bets hard. If he has any kind of draw he check-calls, and he will even call big bets with just 2 overcards, trying to hit.

MP is a VERY good player. He is definately one of the best NL players on PP at this level, and he knows that I am good too. If I held a hand like AA/KK, he would expect me to re-raise him here most of the time. He is very aggressive, and could have a large range of hands here... anything from AK to any pocket pair 99 or higher, and once in a while he might even make a play like this with 77 or 88, although that is less likely.

I felt as though this was a good time to trap and smooth call. Opinions on this decision? I'm not saying I trap here 100% of the time, but more than usual... say 33% of the time. Any objections?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: PP NL $400 Hand - AA in BB

[ QUOTE ]
He is very aggressive, and could have a large range of hands here... anything from AK to any pocket pair 99 or higher, and once in a while he might even make a play like this with 77 or 88, although that is less likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like quite the LAG.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:31 PM

just so you know, I THINK (not 100% sure) high stakes is suppose to be 5/10 NL or higher
Old 12-26-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but a good LAG and faaar from a maniac. He may be on a bit of a rush, but he's making 7.72 PT BB/100 (15.44 BB/100) over the last 16,000+ observed hands I have on him, so that's why I say he is one of the better players at those stakes, even if he is a big LAG at 31/14. Of the hands I've seen him show down in big pots, he always seems to have a hand that could easily have figured to have been the best hand. He will play a good draw hard, but if you shut him out you shut him out... he's not going to move in on you with just a flush draw if you have shown strength and it is theoretically incorrect to do so given the stack sizes and the pot size.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 PM

Anyone who doesn't raise AK, 99+ is a rock. Those who do are just agressive. If he raises 58s sometimes you can maybe call him a preflop LAG.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but a good LAG and faaar from a maniac. He may be on a bit of a rush, but he's making 7.72 PT BB/100 (15.44 BB/100) over the last 16,000+ observed hands I have on him, so that's why I say he is one of the better players at those stakes, even if he is a big LAG at 31/14. Of the hands I've seen him show down in big pots, he always seems to have a hand that could easily have figured to have been the best hand. He will play a good draw hard, but if you shut him out you shut him out... he's not going to move in on you with just a flush draw if you have shown strength and it is theoretically incorrect to do so given the stack sizes and the pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being sarcastic...
Old 12-26-2005, 10:41 PM

You're right.. sorry. I play both high and medium, and posted this in the wrong forum accidentally.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:45 PM

He will raise suited connectors preflop too, it's just that he's not going to raise them to 4.5 x BB very often. More like 3 - 3.5 x BB when he does, and if he wasn't in MP but was in LP, his raising standards would drop SIGNIFICANTLY.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He will raise suited connectors preflop too, it's just that he's not going to raise them to 4.5 x BB very often. More like 3 - 3.5 x BB when he does, and if he wasn't in MP but was in LP, his raising standards would drop SIGNIFICANTLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point was that AK, 99+ is not a "large range of hands".
Old 12-26-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was being sarcastic...

[/ QUOTE ]
31/14 is *getting* towards LAG though. Granted he's not a 50/20 or higher, but you don't run into that many 50/20 players or higher online that are good. There are some, but not many.

You were being sarcastic only because his range of hands were 77/88 once in a while, AK and any pocket pair 99+, but that is simply because of the size of his raise and his position. If he made the same raise 2 seats closer to the button, his range of hands would be much larger. If he raised 3.5 x BB in this same seat, that also would be an indication that he could have a much wider range of hands.