Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: KJ Vs Complete newbie

I had villan on wide range from 1 pair(4's 5's 7's) or 2pair/anything higher.

Preflop was a concern, however i justified it because my opponents were 40VPIP+ they were also fairly passive in the sense they don't bet untill they hold TP or a strong draw.

If any big cards landed i.e. Ace, I could of happily folded. I didnt want BB seeing a free flop.

Results below:
<font color="white">
So i bet the turn expecting to have to fold to a raise.

Villan called my bet, I checked the river and villan got scared and checked behind to show 75o
</font>
Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 AM

1.) complete preflop
2.) flop is fine
3.) bet that [censored] turn
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 AM

Preflop : I see nothing wrong with raising here. It appears you are playing against bozos. Raising here when you probably have an equity edge against your opponents is cool with me. You may not have the best hand here and maybe one other is gaining more money off your raise than you are but I would feel confident that you are indeed making some $ with this raise. IMO, keeping pot small to enhance opponents post flop mistakes is overrated at levels like 1/2. 5/10 and its a different story.

Flop : okay
Turn: I'm not completely sure what to make of your read. there seemed to be a lot of contradictions but then again these types of players constantly make contridictions to solid play as well as to their own poor play. A couple of things; I would think from what you said and the stats and my own dealings with these types is that often they love to bet but they aren't nearly as keen on raising. In addition for a player with this high VPIP he is pretty aggresive. I think he could be fairly likely to bet. I dig a c/r here.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:52 AM

Complete preflop.
Bet flop.
Bet turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not completely sure what to make of your read. there seemed to be a lot of contradictions but then again these types of players constantly make contridictions to solid play as well as to their own poor play. A

[/ QUOTE ]

His play couldn't be noted or summarised, he'd do crazy things with bottom pair, he'd call down Tptk, he'd check around a flopped trips to the river where he may bet. He was generally wierd.

75o beat me. I bet the turn then i checked the river on a brick and he checked(See he's stupid).

My play was bad, i was quite confused mid hand to be honest.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 AM

I wonder if I was playing against this guy, I had some guy call me down with AA last night. He didn't raise PF, flop, turn or river...nothing. And maybe the board was scary you say? Nope, no flush possibilities and I don't remember anything near a straight. I bet my KJ top pair into him the whole way and actually smiled when the pot went to him. It's things like this that make taking 1/2 6m serious really difficult, see some weird stuff.

For your hand, I think you did it right. When a range is so wide and play is so erratic, you did what you could. I've found that getting a free showdown against these types is pretty easy. They freeze up a lot on the bigger streets (they'll call, but not often bet) and if the board gets scary you can usually get there for free.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:01 PM

I rais this preflop aswell, and i bet the turn
Old 12-20-2005, 02:47 AM

I raise preflop as you did, then three bet the flop and bet out on the turn if the flop wasn't capped. I check/call the turn if the flop got capped.