Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: This line probably sucks, but I hate leading and folding to a rais

I am not sure, but Id be pretty suprised if I am not. I understand the 27o concept, so yea I guess it is a "bluff"...but if I think my hand is good here enough to continue I am just supposed to check-call?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:11 PM

You make a very good (and I guess simple) point. So can u walk me through a better way to think about this type of hand?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:15 PM

turnipmonster is a good person to listen to as far as how to think about NL hands as you begin to establish a "default" gameplan. Your intuition regarding his preflop action is correct, and I think your line was an appropriate response to that information.
-James
Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 PM

first I would have to figure out why I open limped 2 off the button [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edit: to clarify, I don't mind your play here at all, I just think that in this situation your hand strength is mostly irrelevant. he folds lots of hands to your cr and if you get called you should probably give it up most times barring a very special read.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 PM

"first I would have to figure out why I open limped 2 off the button"

OK well if u cant get by that, then that is fine. I will have to try to find another situation where I think this same concept comes up. Thanks for your effort atleast Turnip, and stick with me I will learn!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 PM

it was (mostly) a joke [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 11:40 PM

If he's really good, he can push over the top with anything because he knows you don't have a 3 or AA/KK/QQ a huge majority of the time. Still, I rarely check/fold this flop; I'll lead or checkraise most of the time. Anyway, your openlimp messed this whole thing up.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:16 AM

edge pretty much nailed it in one clear post.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: This line probably sucks, but I hate leading and folding to a raise

I think this is a great spot to lead/fold. If he has AK, you win a decent pot, if he doesn't, you're just behind and lose, but not a lot.

Lead/fold also sets up lead/re-raise on a set very nicely. I'd lead/fold this one pretty much every time.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I can never open limp in MP in these games? I guess I can buy that. If I knew the guy didnt fire 2 barrels I would check call yes, didnt know that. Also arent I getting the price to flop a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to warn you that what I'm going to suggest will be disagreed upon by the majority of successful players, but I've found that it works well for my style.

I limp a lot. With drawing hands like pocket pairs. My goal is to double up through these. I'll also limp in any position(even LP) with monsters, ready to raise big to anyone who tries to muscle me out preflop- when people see you break a few people doing this, they'll fear coming over the top of your limps a little more.

My goal is never to win small pots, but my style allows me to do so, as people see that I'm willing to lose small pots in order to break someone and it instills a healthy fear.

The disadvantage of such a style is that I'm often times put in difficult situations because since I didn't raise, I can't really put other people on hands postflop. Due to this, one must be very tight postflop in regards to laying down decent hands in order to play such a style.