Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: .5/1 AK mega draw

[ QUOTE ]
and something like 1/3-1/2 pot bluff on the river to get other draws to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

woah. If you're betting the river, it's because you think you can get made hands to fold, not draws. Be careful bluffing AK on the river. if you think they're on draws, check-call. induce a bluff from them. Don't just make them fold hands that are worse than your ace high.

You can get carreid away with betting, because you'll see that your river bets w/ ace high are winning the pot often, well thats because villain probably can't beat ace high, so you made a bad bet.

This is more important in limit i think thuogh, but my point stands.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is more important in limit i think thuogh, but my point stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's very important in limit and almost completely inapplicable with A high in NL games outside of heads up. If I'm semi-bluffing a big draw on the flop & turn, a river "value bet" bluff is an excellent way to get draws who still have you beat to fold (for example pair + draw or turn/river small pair w/ draw from the flop), or at the very least eliminate a difficult river call with Ace high. If I have made hand here I'll check this river often to induce a bluff that I will most definitely call. Ace high is not exactly showdown material the vast majority of the time in any NL game outside of heads up imo. Big difference from limit.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:55 AM

Busted draws will usually check behind at these stakes against players who fired twice.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet again on the turn. Very very basic example of where it's better to bet yourself if you were planning to call a bet anyway. You have collected a complete brick on the turn which means you will rarely get raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I wasn't sure how much I need to bet to make this guy fold a pair though, so I thought he would end up betting less than my 2nd barrel. Nevertheless, betting is still better as long as we some fold equity, correct?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:00 AM

I'm usually not betting there trying to make hands fold; I'd bet there to give myself a nice price to draw at a lot of outs and disguise my hand in the process. The fact that he will fold sometimes is just a bonus.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Busted draws will usually check behind at these stakes against players who fired twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but busted draws who happen to pair will likely fold to a bet (and those who don't pair will fold as well). This is read dependent though, river betting into a call station here is a bad idea, as he'll likely call with a small pair, but a decent player will often fold a hand that would beat an unimproved AK.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:17 AM

The non-clubs on the board are 5, 3, and 2. The A, K, and Q of clubs are all accounted for. Unless he is playing any two suited, he is going to have a pair with a flush draw just about never. Stealing a $26 pot successfully 5% of the time and giving away another $15 95% of the time is ridiculously -EV.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any particular reason why you didn't? Just curious.