Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-24-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Missed a value bet? Tourny Limit o8 hand

Deep Stack o8, villain is one of the better players at the table. Very passive pf, this is the third time he open-completes in the SB. I have seem him CR others (one of the best things about DS tournaments is the chance to sit with the same people for a long time).
Stacks are very deep at this point.

PokerStars (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 75.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Missed a value bet? Tourny Limit o8 hand

NO.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:17 PM

KneeCo - I think you played correctly. I think you only get called on the river if Villain has a hand that might beat yours. And then maybe you get check-raised. But because of the very aggressive way you have bet this hand up to this point, you cannot tell if the check-raise is for real or not - and therefore I think you have to call the check-raise.

Thus a bet probably gains you nothing and may lose for you.

Keep in mind that your opponent bet the flop originally and has stayed with you. Without the possibility of a check-raise, betting or not seems a close decision. When you consider that you may get check-raised if you bet, I think a check on the river is clearly your best play.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 11-27-2005, 11:46 PM

You played it perfectly. Not worth the bet on the river. Showing down a set will win approx. 70% of the time here. There is the straight and flush out forcing the check behind, no reason for the value bet. The blinds are too small to consider next round's play into this hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:26 PM

i may be the only person on this website who thinks so but i think that you missed a value bet. I love heads up omaha 8 play and it seems to me that he might have 2 pair here, maybe queens up, but I think that in a tournament hed have led out a river made hand on the river. I bet it (b/c im a donk?) and hes gotta call you here with any 2 pair.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:07 PM

I think it is close, you will get called by two pair or a lower set, but possibly checkraised by a flush.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 PM

No, you played it fine. The chance of him calling your thin value bet does not outweight the times you are check-raised by a flush and lose 2 BB's.

Edit: Not to mention the times players check/call you with 75xx, KTxx, and T7xx.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not worth the bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
Showing down a set will win approx. 70% of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you contradicted yourself there.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 PM

Bullet Dodger:Knoll's statement id not a contradiction at all.Just because he will win 70% of the time in a showdown if he checks(assuming he's right),does not mean the bet is correct.The question is,how often will he be called when he has the best hand,&amp; how often will he be check raised when he has the worse hand.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:05 AM

I believe my previous post needs clarification.If the opponent chceked and called every time the value bet would be great.But if he folded unless he had a straight or better &amp; checkraised every time he had a straight or better,the value bet would be very poor even if you did have the best hand 70% of the time.