Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: The Official XCOM Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I had no idea people still played this game. I recall years ago I'd play it in the middle of the night with all the lights off, and it would scare the crap out of me when I'd encounter an alien. Pretty good for a turn-based game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a game that actually gives you a scare is a pretty rare thing, and doing it with a turn-based game would seem almost impossible. Definitely some strange alignment of the stars or something like that must have been happening to make everything click so well in this game.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:10 PM

Wow, great game, great thread. Hadn't thought of this one in years, but I just downloaded it.

Either I have to reconfigure my video options, or the graphics are worse than I remembered, but the game is still great.

Am I the only one who use to send 1 or 2 of my best soldiers alone to take on a large or very large ship by themselves (late in the game when they have all the equipment and power)?

Lotta fun.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:29 PM

Definitely when you have a game that played at 800x600(or worse) and you put it on today's machines, it looks foggy and pixellicious. Putting them at really modest resolutions like they had back in the day helps a lot.

The graphics were never elaborate or highly detailed, but they were always plenty good enough for what the game gave you. I about crapped my pants every time I saw a zombie maker.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like a pretty cool game. Once finals are over (because I do NOT need another distraction, especially an addicting one!), I'll be sure to try this game out.

I'm amazed at how complex this game seems to be from you guys talking about it. For such an old game...wow. I was a huge fan of Civilization and this game sounds similiar.

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant believe there is even a thread about X-COM.. this was easily my second favorite game of all time, only to civ.. what an amazing game that so many peolpe dont even know about. Used to always name my soldiers after people I knew, to make me even more attached to them.

Definetly in the top 5 games of all time on any platform!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:50 PM

heh I used to name the cowardly ones after people I didn't like.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, what I'm talking about is if they've been shot. Which happens to soldiers all the time of course.

[ QUOTE ]
If he has, then the combination of wounds and the smoke inhalation may knock him out, but it's still unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wounding alone can knock him out, that's the problem. The smoke isn't about knocking him out, it's about dropping his health much more quickly when he's knocked out. If you're racing to get to him with a medi-kit, your chances can drop significantly.

And any time a soldier has lowered health, it means more recovery time. Having a soldier do nothing but soak up salary hurts quite a bit, as does having to train up yet another guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The smoke doesn't make him get more wounded if he's shot. It gives him some 'stun' points. If stun > remaining hp he goes down. If he has some stun already when he gets shot he's more likely to go down because the shot could lower his remaining hp below the stun. The soldier still won't die until his hp goes below 0, just like if he was still standing.

I actually prefer my guys to go down when wounded. The aliens won't shoot at a guy thats down. So I can take a couple turns to kill the aliens before tending to the wounded. If the wounded man was still standing, the aliens might shoot him again and he'd die for sure.