Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Steal/resteal 2/4 6 max NL Stars

I have been having a miserable time with villain, who is SB whenever I am on the button.

He reraised me once when I open raised, another couple of times he called and check-raised the flop. Once when I raised UTG he called my continuation bet then bet me off on the turn. The only other notes I have say "very loose pre-flop", "bets large when has a hand", and "open raised 4BB with K6o".

Anyway, I suspect that he's playing back at me...

Villain has $329, I cover.

5 handed, so I'm on the button, he's the SB. UTG+1 posts a blind, UTG folds, UTG+1 checks, I raise to $20 with AKo, villain in SB reraises to $56, folds to me.

I'm intending to raise big, but for some reason I only type $120 in the box, and he calls $64 more.

Flop is 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], $248 in the middle. Villain checks.

(1) What's the best reraise to make pre-flop?
(2) Plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Steal/resteal 2/4 6 max NL Stars

I think that the best play here preflop is to reraise to $160. From there I think the hand basicly plays itself. He has another $160 left in his stack if he calls so you would be getting 3-1 on your money if he shoves the flop.

On this flop I might check behind or shove him. I think those are your only 2 plays here. He has less than the pot so you are still getting 2-1 on your money even if he calls. Any hearts in your hands will be added outs (unless of course he has a boat). But this hand is a hard hand to play I think. The only thing about checking behind is that you might have the best hand and he might hit a pair and on top of that it can either a) make him think you have a MONSTER hand since you are used to continuation betting or b) make him think you have nothing(which you do lol). However, you could even semi-bluff if a heart hits and you could hit your overs. Shoving him gives him no chance to play back at you and appears that you have an over pair but if he gives you no credit then he might put you on AK and call you with his pocket pair. I personally would like to hear someone elses anaylsis.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:25 PM

i just pop it in at this point, but pf wasnt fantastic.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:29 PM

Yeah ... so do you go with $160 pre-flop? More?

I did push, but I wasn't too happy about it - it's a pretty unthreatening board for any pocket pair I'd say...
Old 12-09-2005, 09:45 PM

With the way he's been playing back at you, I'd put it all-in preflop...and avoid this kind of sticky situation on the flop. If he has AA/KK, so be it. If he folds, it'll make him disinclined to reraise my raises in the future.

ALL IN PRE-FLOP!
Old 12-10-2005, 06:31 AM

curious, who is villain?