Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-05-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Am I missing something here?

Level III of a Stars $11 MTT. Started about 1450, down to about 800. I got my stack up early with AK when the flop was KK7 and got some guy to commit with K4. I slowplayed the hell out of that hand. I wasn't quite sure what to do with flopped trips, no kicker from the BB with four other limpers, so I felt like I needed to bet to figure out where I was.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t1795)
SB (t3075)
Hero (t2970)
UTG (t4473)
UTG+1 (t755)
MP1 (t3052)
MP2 (t2210)
MP3 (t2775)
CO (t4310)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, UTG+1 calls t50, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t250) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t300</font> Hero ?

At this point I wasn't sure what to do. I know I'd feel just disgusting if I folded trips to a miniraise, but I was either dominated or way ahead. Do I just go ahead and push 30% of my stack praying he calls with A9?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Am I missing something here?

I push and lose my chips if that happens. He could have been limping with aces or kings and that plan totally to re-raise preflop totally backfired. I can't fold trips to that.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:29 AM

Bump.

I actually could use some help with this one.

I suspect the answer is push, but I'm having trouble developing the rationale to get there.

Although diamonds represent a sizeable fraction of his holdings, we can't call and check-fold to a meaningful bet on a diamond turn. We'd be getting 3-1 at that point, (since he's down to 400 and likely autopushing), making it impossible to fold.

So since it's likely all going in anyway, maybe we should just push now.

Then again there's call then push the turn. There's a risk of folding a flush draw the 4/5 of the time a non-diamond will fall, since he's getting only 3-1 there; when he is all-in with a flush draw in that situation, we have a slight positive expectation when he calls as opposed to folding.

Then there's call, check-call his push if a diamond falls, inducing the semi-bluff by A9s/QTs/air.

So I've reasoned my way into this line: call, then push a non-diamond turn, check-call a diamond turn. I feel that the turn can't be checked on a non-diamond, because of the risk of giving a free card.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Well, the only reason to wait until the turn, it seems, is if he has a 9 and would push on a diamond turn if checked-to, but would fold the 9 to a flop push. Unlikely, given his raise compared to his stack size.

So nothing much good can be found in not pushing this flop, it seems.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:14 AM

Personally I'd get him all in.
IMO these hands come along seldom enough that you have to make them work for you. I like your bet out, often this will be taken as a steal and will get you some action.

The 2 diamonds on board would make me not want to keep it cheap in any way. If he slow played a big pair with a diamond in it he will call (more than likely even if not holding a diamond in a big pair) or he could well be on the draw or as you say could hold A9. Either way I want him in, you have him well covered so it's not a major disaster if he did hold the other J and bigger kicker. He's pretty much committed after his bet so if he didn't put you on a Jack he's in trouble.

It's always possible that he has pocket 9s - if so that's life.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'd feel just disgusting if I folded trips to a miniraise, but I was either dominated or way ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just not true, theres a lot of possible draw out there. This is a pretty easy push, and I wouldn't care at all if he had me outkicked. Usually you will have the best hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:30 AM

Set him AI. I assume you are HU when you need to act. I expect he calls with A9, smaller pair, QT, etc. Its not very likely he has the case J.