Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Default FILM REVIEW: Bedazzled (1967)

This is one of the two films made that star the fantastic comedy team of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore (I think the other was a hound of the baskervilles)

If you haven't seen, it you may have seen the remake, and the premise is the same. The Devil pops up and offers some poor sap 7 wishes for his almighty soul, but each wish goes a little wrong...

This film is fun, but funny in a very British way. If trampolining nuns and witty chat are okay by you, you'll like it. It's uneven but fast and breezy, very very 1960's (it reminds me of the Beatles film Help in terms of style and energy). It's only a hint of what these two can do in terms of funny though, unfortunately, but still pretty amusing nonetheless.

While the devil (Cook) is a trickster here, crossing the hapless Moore every time, he obviously likes the little guy, and is at least providing some excitement and interesting stuff in his life. The villian in this film is actually God, for leaving mankind in its own mess, and seeming to absolve responsibility for his own creation.

The bit at the end where Cook tells God what he's got planned to turn our world into Hell on Earth is also strangely reminding of how life is now, 40 years after the film was made [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

A fun, uneven film that you'll either enjoy lots, or just want to switch off after a bit, depending on your mood. Whatever, it does deserve its chance.

Favourite bit: Cook is a nihilistic singer called Dremble Wedge,wowing the babes with a dirgy, flat, emotionless song with the lyrics "I don't care, I don't want you, I don't love you, leave me alone!" There's one line in it that always cracks me up, when he sings in an exasperated way, "Oh, do leave off!"

hehehe.

Oh, and Raquel Welch pops up as Lillian Lust ('the babe with the bust'), and looks bloody fantastic too!

(Sorry but this is the only pic I could find: Lillian Lust)

OVERALL: 2.5/5
REWATCHABILITY: Yearly
Suitable for 8+, I'd say, but not really a kid's film.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any films you'd like reviewed

RECENT REVIEWS: Incredible Shrinking Man, Night of the Hunter
Old 11-16-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: Bedazzled (1967)

Welch was definitely a major selling point of this film.

I really loved the Devil's song telling all the girl's craving him to bugger off and what a beautiful counterpoint it was to Moore's unsuccessful sincere approach -- reminds me of some of the threads we have in OOT. And Moore was always such a likeable screen presence that it's a damn shame we didn't see a whole lot more of him.

I did find the movie very uneven though and terrifically flat in many spots. Overall, I can't say I enjoyed it. Very few highs and a lot of spots that seemed to just crawl.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:23 PM

I gotta get that track, it's pretty cool.

Wonder if it's on the soundtrack? Wonder if there is a soundtrack [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 05:28 PM

Well if you find it, hook me up with an upload link.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:57 PM

What? No Elizabeth Hurley ?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What? No Elizabeth Hurley ?

[/ QUOTE ]