Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 11-14-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: using back button deletes work

After typing out a long post and accidentally hitting my mouse button that takes my browser back a page, only to lose all of my work, I'm wondering if we're any closer to a fix here?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 PM

Chuck to date thinks this unfixable. I am now fully in support of new forum software.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:32 PM

I do not believe that this is fixable. I do not understand why it is happening and the people who provide the software claim it must be browser settings which is bull.

As to new forum software, I'd appreciate it if people would play with some software I'm testing at
http://fusionforum.twoplustwo.com/fusionbb.php?

This should be fully functional, but keep in mind that whatever you post here will not be kept permanently.

Please send any comments to me via e-mail to weinstock@conjelco.com.

Chuck
Old 11-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

http://forums.storagereview.net/ is an example of a fairly high-volume invision power board site
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 PM

Well, it never happened before but I trust you've looked into this quite a bit.

What's the logon for the other site? Any other software you're considering? I've been looking into Drupal and Joomla for a professional community I'm building - both open source and highly configurable. I'm also looking at a couple of commercial applications like CommunityZero, Communispace, and Squarespace.

If you're going to change forum software, it could be a good opportunity to consider additional features like blogging, messaging, reference center for articles and other knowledge, calendar (I could definitely see some value in that with MTT), and some other cool things. I think there are some simple and cost-effective ways of making 2+2 even more valuable to its constituents. I'm happy to help if I can be of assistance.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:55 PM

The invision software seems to not support threading. We need that feature at least.

Chuck
Old 11-15-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As to new forum software, I'd appreciate it if people would play with some software I'm testing at
http://fusionforum.twoplustwo.com/fusionbb.php?

This should be fully functional, but keep in mind that whatever you post here will not be kept permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't figure out how to get at anything. When I click on a forum it asks me to login, I login, and then I can't find the forum index anymore.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:13 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
The invision software seems to not support threading. We need that feature at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is threading wanted, much less needed? the first thing virtually every thinking member does here is enable flat mode, and i don't know of a single large/successful forum (i'm on a lot of them) that uses threaded modes. it's just not an effective way to see new posts.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:37 AM

Agreed. Threaded mode is really weird.

The "lost posts on back button" seems to be that it's loaded a new version of the page every time, rather than using what's cached in the browser.

I find that this is true when I ignore somebody- if I go back, it reloads the page and I don't see their posts, whereas before the update you would have to refresh the page before this took place.

Frankly- this is how I'd prefer it. A good rule of thumb for composing long posts online is to ALWAYS work offline for exactly these reasons. It's something we tell our students (I work in online learning) a lot. Someting will eventually screw up and losing work sucks.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why is threading wanted, much less needed? the first thing virtually every thinking member does here is enable flat mode, and i don't know of a single large/successful forum (i'm on a lot of them) that uses threaded modes. it's just not an effective way to see new posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use flat mode, but I do look to see who the response was to. And I don't think the invision board says that.

craig