Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: On the duty to improve the world.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but you care because humans have evolved to be caring creatures, and that's because it's in the interest of our genes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that is true. If anything, it was environmental for me. I think that is supported by the fact that no one in my family has the same "qualities".

[/ QUOTE ]
So you do charity work for people/animals/things you don't care about?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure I care about them, but I seriously doubt that my genes "evolved" into caring about domesticated animals.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but you care because humans have evolved to be caring creatures, and that's because it's in the interest of our genes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that is true. If anything, it was environmental for me. I think that is supported by the fact that no one in my family has the same "qualities".

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure I care about them, but I seriously doubt that my genes "evolved" into caring about domesticated animals.

[/ QUOTE ]
why not? you share nearly all the same genes. Anyway its probably the other way around. Domesticated animals are evolved to tap into the caring attitude of humans. Thats why they look so cute and take on human characteristics.

chez
Old 11-06-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why not? you share nearly all the same genes. Anyway its probably the other way around. Domesticated animals are evolved to tap into the caring attitude of humans. Thats why they look so cute and take on human characteristics.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

As I stated, I believe that it is environmental, especially considering the lack of caring of my immediate family members (and most of society).
Old 11-06-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I stated, I believe that it is environmental, especially considering the lack of caring of my immediate family members (and most of society).

[/ QUOTE ]
have your family been exposed to the same environment?

chez