Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Flopped set, check behind on turn?

I've been working on sensing turn check raises a lot lately, because it's part of my game that gets me into a lot of trouble. I'm usually overaggressive on the turn and fall into a lot of traps. I've started to check behind more turns when I think I'm getting set up for a check raise.

This hand isn't technically short handed, but after the first 3 folded I played it just like I would in MP at a 6-max table, and I trust this forum for advice more than SS.

Full Tilt Poker $15/$30 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

With all that action I'm thinking at least one guy has either a flush draw or an OESD, although I don't have any real reads on any of these guys.

Turn: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

I think that card is ugly, and I opt to check behind. Anyone agree with this play?

River: (10 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 10-20-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Flopped set, check behind on turn?

Hate it. Bet and call a raise.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:37 AM

There also straight draws they could be calling with. Bet the turn. I think the river card gives u an idea why you should bet this turn.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:58 AM

Bet the turn, even if raised u can still improve. Bettings a lot better then checking.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:30 AM

Here's a follow up question. Assume that if I am behind on the turn, I'll be check raised and end up putting 2 bets into the pot to draw to 10 clean outs. Obviously if my opponent showed me his cards so that I was 100% sure I was behind, checking would be correct. So what % would you need to be sure you were behind in order to make checking and betting even plays?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a follow up question. Assume that if I am behind on the turn, I'll be check raised and end up putting 2 bets into the pot to draw to 10 clean outs. Obviously if my opponent showed me his cards so that I was 100% sure I was behind, checking would be correct. So what % would you need to be sure you were behind in order to make checking and betting even plays?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he is not ahead is he calling a turn bet and what is he drawing to and could he be drawing dead but not know it?

What range of hands are they calling with on the turn if they are behind?

This will be too hard to compute because there are 3 villains, not 1. The opportunity to collect bets from each of them on the turn is too great to pass up because you have a "hunch" a check-raise is coming. This is the easiest turn bet, EVER.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you're behind a high percentage of the time, I'd rather bet/call check/fold than ever checking through the turn.