Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 11:31 PM

Default AJo on the button

Villian is 10/10/6. Comments?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

EDIT: Villian was over 300 hands. I'd noticed he'd been playing pretty aggro lately but wasn't getting taken to showdown so I really didn't have any specific reads.

Usually I fold this preflop but I was feeling saucy and against an aggro opponent I thought it was correct to isolate his raise from from MP.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: AJo on the button

Over how many hands? I'd fold preflop if I felt he was rockish, and would bet the turn if he wasn't.

Rob
Old 10-17-2005, 11:35 PM

I think you need to fold this preflop. If this is only over a small sample like Rob has stated then this 3-bet can be ok.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Over how many hands? I'd fold preflop if I felt he was rockish, and would bet the turn if he wasn't.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is betting the turn better than checking and calling a river bet? I am assuming you are betting/folding to a raise on the turn...?

Here is what I was thinking. If he has AK or KQ or QQ or a set of J's or something that is beating me, I get check raised and don't go to showdown. If I have him beat, say he has TT or 99 or AQ, he is most likely folding. I'm not seeing any hands he could have that I could gain an extra bet for, and anything he is drawing to is most likely a four outer or less.

This is why I thought it would be better, in this case, to check behind and call a bet on the river. If he is beating me then I lose 1BB and get to a showdown, if I am beating him I bet if checked to on the river and maybe he calls with a smaller pocket pair or even A high. However, since he is really aggro postflop there is a good chance he bluffs at this pot on the river, and I win 1BB.

This is something I usually don't do... I usually bet the turn here, but I thought this case might be an exception hence the reason I posted it in the first place.

Comments?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:58 PM

I fold this the majority of the time against those stats. But if the table was tightening up, and he's able to loosen up, then yeah. Maybe he's reacting to the table getting shorter.

I think I bet the turn, and if called check behind the river. The only reasonable semibluffing hands he could c/r the turn with is something like spades (QJs, TJs, 9Js, etc.), or an underpair. So if he does pull the trigger on the turn, I'm leaning towards folding but I think it's close.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:05 AM

If you put him on that small of a range then I'm less inclined to isolate pf.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 AM

IF he's 10/10, does that mean that over 600 hands you've never seen him limp? I don't really play online, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the stats.

I'd bet the turn. I used to love the free card/snap off a bluff play and I see lots and lots of other players who love it too. More and more, though, I think its really best saved for those times when your hand has no showdown value or you are truly WA/WB and your opponent will know if he's WB and fold.

In this hand, if your opponent is aggro enough to make the PF raise correct, then he's probably also raising lots small/medium PPs that he'll call down with. With some aggro players I'd also call down a CR and not feel bad about it.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:00 AM

Sounds from your post that you had a player specific read and acted on it. If he's a rock getting a bit frisky his open-raise from the hijack 7-handed could be 77 and up, KT and up, AT and up, maybe QJs. Obviously AJo is a standard fold full-ring, but you make a decent case for the 3-bet here.

I like your flop raise, you have TPTK and want to find out where you stand. His smooth call means he's missed his overcards and decided to peel, or he has a monster and is waiting to pop you on the turn.

This is a drawless board so if he's that aggro he will either fold an underpair or 3-bet you to try to push you off the hand.

Turn is a tough decision for me. The K means a bunch of the hands you were beating just overtook you. You have to fold to a checkraise, so you lose your probable 5-out draw. You know if you check you will have to call the river bet in this situation heads up, but as you say if he is behind he has poor odds of sucking out with the free card.

River you have to call because you checked behind the turn and the river did not likely help. You win vs AQ, KT, AT, QJ, TT-77, and split vs another AJ. That's enough to call getting 6.5:1
Old 10-18-2005, 01:24 AM

Considering his stats I like the whole hand. Including the Turn check/river call.

I have a 10% pre-flop raise and AJo puts me in a bad way on this flop alot with the range of hands I'm raising 7-handed in the Hijack.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IF he's 10/10, does that mean that over 600 hands you've never seen him limp? I don't really play online, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the stats.

I'd bet the turn. I used to love the free card/snap off a bluff play and I see lots and lots of other players who love it too. More and more, though, I think its really best saved for those times when your hand has no showdown value or you are truly WA/WB and your opponent will know if he's WB and fold.

In this hand, if your opponent is aggro enough to make the PF raise correct, then he's probably also raising lots small/medium PPs that he'll call down with. With some aggro players I'd also call down a CR and not feel bad about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was actually 10.9/9.5, so he basically raises with everything he plays. After 200 more hands tonight he was 12/9, so that is more his true rate.