Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-06-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: $22 - Heads up problem

The reason I hate these situations is because it's so damn tricky.

Say if I raise 3x BB my stack is now at 1900. What do I do if a Queen or a jack doesn't hit? Do I make a continuation bet if checked to? If I do, that severely dents my stack. What happens if and Ace or a King comes up? Do I still make a continuation bet? What if the big stack just comes right out betting and I don't have a piece of the flop?

As you can see, it sucks because if I make a standard raise, I'm putting 1/4 of my chips in and any thing I do from the flop onward is using a huge chunk of my chips.

I really don't know what to do??
Old 10-06-2005, 09:45 AM

If checked to on the flop I would push unless the board was strongly coordinated like a monocrone non spade 567 board. I don't think you have to fear it if an A flopped, many players will reraise with Ax preflop.

If villain bets first on the flop, then I agree you are in a tough spot. If he didn't pot commit himself you could probably still push over the top on most boards though, 6+ outs (twice) and FE is not so bad.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:42 AM

I'm posting before reading the other responses.

Ratio is 12.5:1. Time to start thinking about playing an optimal push-call strategy. Easy push, esp. with QJs.

The Shadow
Old 10-07-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes it does look pretty, but I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about how good QJs when your opponent could have any 2 cards under there. This is a faceup push vs a fold. I think you can get fancy here and raise 2.5x BB, especially if the guy is weak-tight preflop or postflop, but I think I'd push quite a lot too.