Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-22-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Does 3BB raise make sense on level 1?

if you have ak level 1 and only raise to 45, then all of the pocket pairs should call you (<10% of their stack)...

does it make sense to instead raise to >10% of average stack (90 if 800 stacks) to not give the low-mid pps odds to limp in?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Does 3BB raise make sense on level 1?

[ QUOTE ]
if you have ak level 1 and only raise to 45, then all of the pocket pairs should call you (<10% of their stack)...

does it make sense to instead raise to >10% of average stack (90 if 800 stacks) to not give the low-mid pps odds to limp in?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of reasons why I think this is incorrect.

-You're building a huge pot on level 1 that you'll miss most of the time, but will still have to fire at.

-In your scenario, you still have several players to act behind you, meaning that you're still subject to a raise pre-flop and will be OOP for the rest of the hand with AK.

-You're limiting your opponents opportunities to come in with dominated aces, which is where AK makes it's money, NOT by giving incorrect odds to lower pairs (which are already ahead of you).

-The blinds at this level just aren't significant enough to make this a winning play (which I'm going to address in the other thread).
Old 09-22-2005, 06:50 PM

good response

was just throwing that out there
Old 09-22-2005, 09:33 PM

I just raise to 60 on level 1 and 100 on level 2. Then I raise to 3x unless there is something that would drive me to mini-raise due to bubble.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just raise to 60 on level 1 and 100 on level 2. Then I raise to 3x unless there is something that would drive me to mini-raise due to bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your raises should be primarily based on the # of players in the pot already. I dont think having a standard raise amount for a given blind structure would be a logical move.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:46 PM

With AA I tend to do this for the reasons you describe (as well as the fact they'll pay me anyway) as I rarely fold AA.

With AK however, you shouldn't stack yourself unless you at least hit an A or K, which means that they are less likely to flop a set on the occasions that you try to lose all of your chips.

Lori
Old 09-22-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your raises should be primarily based on the # of players in the pot already. I dont think having a standard raise amount for a given blind structure would be a logical move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am discussing your raise when opening the pot (which I think is what the original poster is talking about). Yes I do scale it up depending upon how many callers there are.

And yes having a standard opening raise dependent upon blind level is logical.