Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-11-2005, 03:31 PM

Default The Broom Broom Vroom

[ QUOTE ]
But you conveniently chose to ignore that it was also democracy too that put a stop to blacks riding the back of the bus!

[/ QUOTE ]
B.S. It was a republican system and Constitutional authority that stopped it.

[ QUOTE ]
Another of those sleights of hand that the Libertarian Right is so good at ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop calling your opponent a magician, and simply expose his trickery -- but try to do it without your wand.

[ QUOTE ]
You meant to say "interpreted", rather "observed", right?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I meant observed. Now make your point.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Her Broken Broom

[ QUOTE ]
It was a republican system and Constitutional authority that stopped [segregation].Stop calling your opponent a magician.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? You got problems with the union?

The trickery is you are trying, through a sleight of language, to dispute the context of events. It was not just some (impersonal) "constitutional authority" that stopped blacks riding the bus. In actuality, its was citizens agitating against moral injustice, which begat a general discontent against the status quo, which in turn brought about pressure on political representatives -- who eventually passed the appropriate resolutions and then, crucially, enforced them on a federal leve.

And they enforced them on states in which the majority of the voters might not have been in agreement with desegregation.

I call that "democracy at work". I do not know what you call it. Perhaps "tyranny of the majority".

[ QUOTE ]
I meant observed. Now make your point.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Constitution can be interpreted and, subsequently, observed in a manner of ways and approaches. There are people who want to treat the document as something sacred and consider anything the Courts do as judicial activism! There are others who accept the simple fact of life that as life moves on, so do the laws, constitutional or not.

And their observation.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Desegregation

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there would have been any change at all. courts and laws don't change people -- they change as their interests change, and they do it on their own timeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I don't get your point. Are you saying that if, say, Brown v. Board of Education had never been decided, that schools would have integrated essentially just as fast?