Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Evacuees being turned away from Houston\'s Astrodome

[ QUOTE ]
Why couldn't we have 2,000 badass motherfuckers in New Orleans by last night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because there is only one....

Old 09-02-2005, 08:33 AM

Right now, this is not a matter of money, so things like donation drives can't help. Foreign countries usually also cannot help within the first five days. It took way longer than that for help to arrive at most places hit by the tsunami.

It's only a matter of organisation, resolve and decisiveness. Trying to organize this without having a preagreed plan among all stakeholders would be a nightmare anywhere. The U.S. does not have much advantage over any other country here if they lack the preparedness. You cannot quickly solve the misery "on the fly".

The biggest mistakes have been made BEFORE the disaster: People "riding it out" even if the official warnings have been very grim, not having an appropriate disaster emergency plan ready, not upgrading the levees even though hydrologists calculated exactly this scenario for years, etc, etc.

Time is crucial to provide effective relieve. Too much time has been lost by the lack of being properly prepared to such an event. At the current state I am sure that everybody is doing what he can but they are behind on all fronts and will remain so for a couple of days.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who should be leading this effort? Probably the governor, right? But we have the FEMA people, director of homeland security, the mayor, the president, etc. making statements. Presumably they are all making decisions. Or not making decisions, which actually seems to be the case. Who do you think should take over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've worked emergencies (7 forest fires and 1 oil spill). There is protocol. First responder is in charge... until someone comes along with higher status. So, yeah, right now it's the President. He's in charge and if you're mad about what's goiing on, it's our fuckhead president who's at fault.

They just keep saying they can't navigate because the phones are down and everything is in water. Well, people have been living in swamps and canals for thousands of years. Get a [censored] boat and figure it out.
And the phones? Hello??? short wave? CB? what the [censored] is going on?

Sorry this is so emotional. I'm mad as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked the Oakland Hills fire and some other big MCIs. They were all chaotic situations but at least there was a slight semblence of coordination. It's apparent that there is ZERO leadership ANYWHERE.

Not having a tent city situation set-up for the overflow of the Astrodome is beyond stupidity. Now Houston is going to get inundated by refugees who are desperate as hell. It's not Texas' responsibility to provide this it's FEMAs.

Not having the National Guard being either dropped or brought in via the Mississippi to help at the Convention Center in NO by Day 3 is inexcusable.

This is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. While people are literally dying 1 block away from the Mississippi River Bush is strumming a guitar and Condi Rice is taking in Sir Spam-A-Lot on Broadway.

We have dumped billions in to FEMA/Homeland Security since 9/11 and we we're assured everything was fine. Our country has let us down and hopefully all parties will see that the leadership must change.

I am at the point where I think that there is coordinated thinking that says let NOLA die in the streets so we do not have to think about the logistics of housing all the refugees.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LET THEM PLAY! LET THEM PLAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice reference.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I'll be told to take it to another forum, so I'll just say that the lack of leadership here has been apalling.

[/ QUOTE ]

and yet in many ways, consistant with the pattern of the last 17 years -

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LET THEM PLAY! LET THEM PLAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice reference.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-02-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So let me get this straight - they are supposed to just let everyone into the Astrodome? What do you think would happen if they didn't control how many people were let in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, everyone can't be let into the Astrodome. The fire marshall and local authorities understand that X number of people can be sustained there. A few posters have touched on one of the main issues here ... THERE IS NO LEADERSHIP. None. Zip. Unacceptable. No gameplan. No logistics. No communication. Not enough National Guard, Airborne, Marines, Infantry in NO. This hurricane was bringing menace. National Guard (at least 5,000) should have been stationed in NO BEFORE Katrina hit land. One poster stated its too early to tell how the relief effort is going. Ummm, come again. I heard the director of FEMA say tonight that he didn't realize people were at the convention center until today. I knew this information yesterday. Lack of foresight. Lack of leadership.

I am pissed that people are dieing as I type this. I am pissed that American citizens have gone 72 hours without food and water. What are you missing people. American citizens have gone without food and water for 3 days. Hello. I'll go out on a limb and say we'll hear our first canabilism report tomorrow.

Greg H.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst thing that could happen is that people start drinking off the streets, if they don't get water in soon then that will happen, and then what you have now is gonna look like a teddy bears tea party.

Mack
Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We made jokes the next day, before it became apparent that the situation would get worse not better, that the only Democratic pocket in the Deep South would be gladly ignored by our nations leaders. The lack of response, since then, beyond platitudes, is sickening, and I pray that Venezuela, or some rich guy, breeches airspace and delivers some water to our dying countrymen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked, Bush won Louisiana pretty handily. Not bad for "the only Democratic pocket in the Deep South".
Old 09-02-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We made jokes the next day, before it became apparent that the situation would get worse not better, that the only Democratic pocket in the Deep South would be gladly ignored by our nations leaders. The lack of response, since then, beyond platitudes, is sickening, and I pray that Venezuela, or some rich guy, breeches airspace and delivers some water to our dying countrymen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked, Bush won Louisiana pretty handily. Not bad for "the only Democratic pocket in the Deep South".

[/ QUOTE ]He was talking about New Orleans.