Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Started Laughing! River!!!!

I'm very new to limit games. So I'm really just learning how to play good. I'm sorry that I mis-played a hand that could of been played better. This forum is to help educate players how to play good. Nobody knows how to play good without practice.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for posting this you jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to help you out here; if I overstepped the boundaries of that by posting this hand, then I apologize. I would hope that if you or anyone else ever sees me playing a hand like that they would post it, or at least bring it to my attention. Lord knows I've tried stuff like that a time or two.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for posting this you jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to help you out here; if I overstepped the boundaries of that by posting this hand, then I apologize. I would hope that if you or anyone else ever sees me playing a hand like that they would post it, or at least bring it to my attention. Lord knows I've tried stuff like that a time or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for future reference, you should PM him the hand and tell him about it. Public shaming is not cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just for future reference, you should PM him the hand and tell him about it. Public shaming is not cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps so. My bad.

EDIT: I was serious about posting my own bonehead plays, anyway. I know I made a really bad one against brazillio last night, before I realized who he was...FWIW, that was a metagame move, but it still sucked. Okay, maybe just make one thread for all of Harv's stoopid moves, so we don't clutter up the forum any more than it is. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 05:00 PM

This is about education.

There wasn't a raise preflop. You don't know if or where there the action will come from on the flop.

Your hand is definately going to see the turn, in fact, you will probably be seeing the river regardless of the turn card or action.

It is checked to you.

Given all of those conditions, a bet is mandatory here.

Only good things can happen.

1) you might win the hand right now.
2) you could at least fold the players left behind you, and you might win the button for the rest of the hand.
3) you might eliminate all the players other than the flush and straight draws, which would make you the leader going to the turn, and gives you the best chance to win unimproved.
4) Another queen might come on the turn, and now you could convince everyone to fold.
5) You might have the option to take a free card on the turn.
6) everyone could call, and now you are getting 4-1 when you are only a 2-1 underdog.
7) It provides a little doubt in your opponents minds when you do flop top pair/two pair/set and bet, because they know you have bet draws in the past.
8) its limit poker, and the poker gods favor those who bet and raise over those who check and call.

There probably are some other reasons, but if these haven't convinced you, I'm sure the other ones won't help.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is about education.

There wasn't a raise preflop. You don't know if or where there the action will come from on the flop.

Your hand is definately going to see the turn, in fact, you will probably be seeing the river regardless of the turn card or action.

It is checked to you.

Given all of those conditions, a bet is mandatory here.

Only good things can happen.

1) you might win the hand right now.
2) you could at least fold the players left behind you, and you might win the button for the rest of the hand.
3) you might eliminate all the players other than the flush and straight draws, which would make you the leader going to the turn, and gives you the best chance to win unimproved.
4) Another queen might come on the turn, and now you could convince everyone to fold.
5) You might have the option to take a free card on the turn.
6) everyone could call, and now you are getting 4-1 when you are only a 2-1 underdog.
7) It provides a little doubt in your opponents minds when you do flop top pair/two pair/set and bet, because they know you have bet draws in the past.
8) its limit poker, and the poker gods favor those who bet and raise over those who check and call.

There probably are some other reasons, but if these haven't convinced you, I'm sure the other ones won't help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you
Old 08-20-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps so. My bad.

EDIT: I was serious about posting my own bonehead plays, anyway. I know I made a really bad one against brazillio last night, before I realized who he was...FWIW, that was a metagame move, but it still sucked. Okay, maybe just make one thread for all of Harv's stoopid moves, so we don't clutter up the forum any more than it is. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, Harv, we still think you're a good guy.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:28 PM

Raise preflop. Bet the flop. Raise the turn.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps so. My bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, Harv, we still think you're a good guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are more than a good guy Harv. You totally went out of your way to help a guy out by finding a hand that he screwed up on. i would love it if people took time out to fix holes in my game.

A little humility is fine and actually very necessary to be a good player. You are in teh wrong game and in the wrong forum if you can't handle it. So my hat is off to you for going out of your way to help this guy who was completely unappreciative.

nh