Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-27-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Tossing QQ & pushing low set: too tight/too spewy?

I'd like to know if anyone sees tightness in the first hand or spewage in the second. At the time, I didn't feel too great about either of them, but I like them looking back. No reads on either player (no PT, multi-tabling, lazy, Matt Clement had just got beaned in the head by that line drive).

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Pretty clear that A3/K3 can't be excluded, even with the cold call. I don't think I have the odds to call the turn.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (16.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises.....</font>

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

Seems strange to be pushing bottom set so hard against a pfr with a 39TKA board. However, capping the flop was called for, since I'm ahead of everything he would be 3-betting with except 99/TT. I wouldn't expect him to slow-play the turn when I showed so much aggression on the flop, and a declined turn c-r is a strange way to slow-play a hand anyway. So his call excludes KK as well as 99/TT and QJ, which would have had the proper odds to catalyze the flop action the way he did.

His river bet--this seems more problematic. While playing the hand, I was thinking AK as an alternative to AA. But the flop action doesn't support that, except the sole combo AsKs. Any AT combo, held by a desparate call-down artist (common at these stakes), is also a distant possibility. Nine AT combos, one AsKs, and a bluff, compared to three AA, with the action much, much more suggestive of the latter than the former. In the end, probably not worth putting 2 more BB at risk by inducing a possible 3-bet. So, I change my mind again. Should've called there.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Tossing QQ & pushing low set: too tight/too spewy?

In the first hand I'd assume jacks thru sevens before I'd put him on A3/K3. The flop plays looks like trips with a terrible pf cold call but I could see an agg. capping the flop with said pairs. I'd lead the turn and see what he does. If he reraises then I'd lean towards trips, but a check invites a continuation of his flop-cap which doesn't narrow his hand range really. I'd be tempted to call down even if he reraises the turn.

On the second hand I'd probably call the river, he didn't hit a set of kings, looks like AK, but could've been Aces with his river bet, I'd call the river.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:01 AM

grunching...
hand 1: i call this down. A3/K3 seem so unlikely to me, pay him off [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] odds to call down are about 9to2.
hand 2: i call and pray he doesn't have AA. i think you got rivered there. your argumentation was fine.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:08 AM

Hand #2 is terrible cold call preflop
Old 07-27-2005, 07:15 AM

grunch.

In the first hand, I don't like your fold. I think the villain could play A6 that way....I tended to do some stuff like that in my younger days [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The 2nd hand, I think the river raise is good. I don't think you can put him on AA for sure. Just call a 3bet though. I bet you see AT fairly often.

Edit: The more I look at it, without a read, I don't even know if you can put him on anything specific. KK, QJ, 99, TT are also possibilities.

Edit 2: Yeah, the 33 cold call is bad.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:24 AM

Hand 1: I'd pay this off, call down.

Hand 2: You played it fine IMO MP2 will have 2 pair a lot here AT most likely possibly AK.