Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-25-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Stars 5/10 (ten handed): Raise or call the turn?

<font color="blue"> </font> I'll preface this post by saying I'm new to limit ring games. I was in Las Vegas during the WSOP (from June 6 - July 11) and got crushed at the 1/2 NL cash games. I decided to give limit cash games a try. I played 2/4 limit and towards the end of my trip was playing 4/8 with mixed success. So you ask why am I playing 5/10 ... well, I prefer playing in games where 5, 6 and 7 people aren't taking every flop. I understand that I can adapt and beat these types of games; however, I'm more inclined to "test the waters" at a mid-limit as this is the type of limit poker (more short-handed hands) I want to play and excel at. Anyway, on to the hand.

Reads: UTG+2 is a poor player, often betting on end with nothing when obvious he is behind and will be called.

I call the turn bet in an attempt to get the Button to continue with the hand. Is this faulty thinking?

I felt confident UTG+2 would lead at the river.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (3.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

River: (5.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 5.70 BB

Thanks,
Greg H.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Stars 5/10 (ten handed): Raise or call the turn?

I would raise this flop, this is not a slowplay situation..

I would raise the turn and call down if he 3 bets I think..

everything else looks okay
Old 07-25-2005, 07:43 PM

You left some bets on the table.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:59 PM

I only play 3/6, but I would either raise the flop or turn. Preferably flop AND turn...

psw
Old 07-25-2005, 11:32 PM

You need to raise this flop. Aces and flush draws are coming along so charge them. You are letting the draws continue to cheep
Old 07-25-2005, 11:58 PM

I have to say I like the smoothcall on the flop. The pot is still tiny. No one raised pre-flop. It's worth a little risk to build it up.

However, you definitely have to raise the turn. The board is very drawy. You want to charge two spades or pair plus gutshot hands the max to try to draw out on you. And you're giving yourself a chance to get some good action from two pair hands.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, you definitely have to raise the turn. The board is very drawy. You want to charge two spades or pair plus gutshot hands the max to try to draw out on you. And you're giving yourself a chance to get some good action from two pair hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I can see how not raising the turn is a big error.

Greg H.