Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Pizza 34 64.15%
Calzone 19 35.85%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Learning the game of No-Limit Hold \'Em...

You'e also leaving off possibly the single best book for you to make the transition, which is GSIH. You need to accumulate experience implementing its short stack strategy, so that you can learn to think correctly about your in-play decisions. Later, you can apply its lessons to medium and deeper stack situations.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:05 AM

The NLHE sections in SSI and SSII are identical, IIRC.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been covered FOUR HUNDRED TIMES IN THE LAST MONTH.

1) this is a forum, so be polite and direct him to the 'search function'
2) after 369 posts the OP should be handy with the search forum, you aren't looking for something not already covered... (and you know this)

[/ QUOTE ]

A. The search function and I don't get along. It's failed me in the past and I really don't feel like bothering with it.

B. I created a nice little poll and everything, had to go out and search for the books on Amazon, I just couldn't find any good reviews on these books from a source I would trust.

C. Thank you Dale for an actual response!

D. Why do people feel compelled to click on a Thread that they know they will not like? Do you guys realize you don't have to click on every thread in every forum on this site?

E. You know my Momma always said "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all." Sound advice, sound advice.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A. The search function and I don't get along. It's failed me in the past and I really don't feel like bothering with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many here do not feel like bothering to help people who don't feel like bothering with the search function.

The search function works, and there are many posts explaining how to best use it, especially on the Beginners Forum. Asking for advice on using the search function is much more efficient than asking to be handed the answers to questions that obviously arise often. If you don't learn to use it, next time you have a question you will be right back at ground zero.

[ QUOTE ]
B. I created a nice little poll and everything, had to go out and search for the books on Amazon, I just couldn't find any good reviews on these books from a source I would trust.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a thread on this forum within the last week asking for places other than 2+2 for good book reviews. I and others gave some good suggestions. Try a search on "book reviews".

[ QUOTE ]

C. Thank you Dale for an actual response!

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not a good response for anyone wanting to play NL seriously. You would eventually have to unlearn bad habits if you moved up in NL.

[ QUOTE ]
D. Why do people feel compelled to click on a Thread that they know they will not like? Do you guys realize you don't have to click on every thread in every forum on this site?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called negative reenforcement, used to train present and future posters to think and do their own research.

[ QUOTE ]
E. You know my Momma always said "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all." Sound advice, sound advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know my Momma always said, "You'll learn it better if you look it up yourself." Sound advice, sound advice.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The NLHE sections in SSI and SSII are identical, IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. There were some font changes.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to how it seems, the above posters actually loved your post. It gave them another opportunity to bitch and moan and yell and put someone else down. They love that. Much more than helping someone out.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'e also leaving off possibly the single best book for you to make the transition, which is GSIH. You need to accumulate experience implementing its short stack strategy, so that you can learn to think correctly about your in-play decisions. Later, you can apply its lessons to medium and deeper stack situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

GSIH. GET it now, it is only $17. You will make that back easily for what it will teach you about NL.

Greg
Old 07-25-2005, 12:18 PM

If I was coming from a limit background, which is what I did, my choices would be:

pot and no limit poker
improve your poker
supersystem 2
HOH vol 1
1st chapter of HOH vol 2.