Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Outhinking opponent or myself? Weird AK hand

[ QUOTE ]
hmm I disagree, either this guy has AA-QQ, or has total [censored]. Why not let him bluff? This is a way ahead way behind type of check I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

$945 pot. You have, what, about $600 left?
If you're checking behind on that flop, then you're effectively saying that his pre-flop call made you done with the hand.

Why you would check the flop and then call the turn push is beyond me. If he indeed had QQ-AA, I think he pushes it in when you make it $470 to go, preflop. If he has JJ or TT, you just gave him a free card to get the rest of your stack.
After the turn, you can only beat a bluff.

I think a flop push is the only play here, or just overpush pre-flop if you feel like gambling, or feel he's just cranky and playing back at you.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Results/My thoughts

I thought about this hand for a long time on every street. PF, his reraise which was 5x mine screamed a vulnerable hand. He had to put me on pretty much any two (which would not be too far from the truth). When I reraised him preflop, he had to put me on a TT/AK/etc. type of hand. No way I 3bet him with KK or AA there. Once the flop came, I thought forever whether or not to push, and decided that im either way ahead or way behind, and he has at most 6 outs to catch up with me. A flop check behind might look like I tried to resteal and gave up on the hand, making him try to bluff at it again. I got an unfortunate turn, but decided that he is bluffing there enough times after I showed weakness like that to make the call profitable.

Even typing this out is making me think I am crazy, and just got lucky, but opponent showed 22 and MHIG.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Results/My thoughts

Not sure this was a good play or not but he had clearly made up his mind that he was going to take down this pot no matter what, when you raised him one too many times preflop. why would he call half his stack preflop with 22 otherwise. I am not sure i like to raise half your stack preflop with AK when hes first to act though. i would hate to see a flop with 358 and he goes allin or i check behind and he goes allin on turn.