Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: RANDOMNESS =GOD?

[ QUOTE ]
- I'm not sure something can qualify as being omnipotent without intention. I mean totally pervasive yes, but there seems to be a difference between the two. That's a difference for you.

- Everything is NOT random. What about things like causation and other laws of nature? Are you saying they just "randomly" appear? I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic physics dictates that power icludes force and direction. Direction is not will, though.

The etymology the word "omnipotent" doesn't seem to imply will. It is from the Latin omni (all) and posse (to be able).

Of course the world behaves according to natural law. But exactly when, say, a treelimb breaks in a storm, is random, or so I think. Most of the weeds in my yard are there because the wind or a bird (both of which arguably behave randomly) brought it's seed there. The closer you look, the more randomness you will see.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:03 PM

I hope not. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

edit: The pun must have jumped straight outta my pipe and into the computer. I now wish I could take cretit/blame.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 PM

Psychology (aka religion) forum.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course the world behaves according to natural law. But exactly when, say, a treelimb breaks in a storm, is random, or so I think. Most of the weeds in my yard are there because the wind or a bird (both of which arguably behave randomly) brought it's seed there. The closer you look, the more randomness you will see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, omnipotent basically means "able to do anything". This includes any specific thing at any specific time. If "randomness" is omnipotent, it would need volition of some sort in order to bring about act p at time t. Randomness has no volition. That's the difference between the traditional conception of God and yours.

Your tree branch doesn't fall in your yard at a "random" time, it's falling is brought about by a very very long casual chain.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:46 PM

Good point.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:50 PM

"god does not play dice"

-einstien

"there is no god, dummy!"

-bholdr.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, omnipotent basically means "able to do anything". This includes any specific thing at any specific time. If "randomness" is omnipotent, it would need volition of some sort in order to bring about act p at time t. Randomness has no volition. That's the difference between the traditional conception of God and yours.

Your tree branch doesn't fall in your yard at a "random" time, it's falling is brought about by a very very long causal chain.

[/ QUOTE ]

irony
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM

There, see? I learned sumthin'. And had a few laughs. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 PM

BrownThumb?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:10 PM

no [censored] ...what the [censored] is he trying to say.