Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Standard play, yes?

Party $10+$1 SNG.

Very early in the tournament so I don't have any reads on either of the two other players in this pot with me and no notes on either.

I believe my play on this hand was perfectly standard, but I'm just not certain. How the hand turned out is irrelevant so long as I played it correctly.

All comments on all streets are greatly appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG (t785)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t970)
Button (t790)
Hero (t785)
BB (t670)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls t75, MP1 calls t75.

Flop: (t300) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, UTG+2 calls t250, MP1 calls t250.

Turn: (t1050) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t445 (All-In)</font>, UTG+2 calls t445, MP1 folds.

River: (t1940) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1940
Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Standard play, yes?

Check the turn and see what happens.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:55 PM

Standard preflop.

Standard flop bet.

You only hate 2 turn cards, a 6 and a Jack. Going all-in now is pointless. You will get called everytime by the straight, set, and any two pair. You will not get a better hand to fold. It is quite debatable whether there is any value at all to be extracted from a 10... and that's really your only hope.

So, you have to decide if you are willing to fold this hand or not. If not, you are better off checking and at least possibly inducing a bluff from a smaller pocket pair. If you are beat, you may be able to get away with some chips by shutting down here. If you decide that you CAN get away from this, you need to check and consider folding if the action is right (wrong).

I'd probably get away from this hand. 445 chips in level 1? No biggie.

Irieguy
Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 PM

On the flop, you bet about 1/3 of your stack. T250 into a T300 pot, right, probably pretty standard sized bet from you. But, you realize you only have T450 left.

I'm assuming that with a OESD board, you would have the 4 J's and 4 6's as "bad" turn cards, and most everything else as "good"...and you plan to push with any turn not a 6 or J.

But, the bad turn came, you have T450 in a T1K pot, lays you 2:1...it's not like they definately have the str8...and you beat anyones TPGK, maybe even counterfeit someones 2 pair.

I dont think you can fold. But maybe try to check it down.

For your general question, sidekick, i'd say yeah, that all your actions were "standard play", at least standard in the way I personally would play it. Crappy turn, your hand is not very good anymore. I guess if you were to change anything, it would be to bet either MORE or LESS on the flop. Get all-in while you are favorite over OESD, or bet less (or check) so the pot isnt as big after the flop. Then you can be more selective of what hands to play strongly on the turn.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Great. Two of the posters that I really respect say I should have checked the turn... that means I really screwed this one up.

With the way the betting has gone, if I check the turn it seems to me that I'm saying to anyone still in the hand that I'm now scared spitless of that board and I will fold to any bet.

When I played this hand and I saw the turn card I nearly tried to check it down, but I took a while thinking about the probable range of hands (past experience has shown this is probably useless at the $10 SNG Party level) that my two oppoenents could be holding here. Truthfully I could only conceive of one hand that I was really worried about being better than me at this point, and that was pocket 88. I thought that if someone had flopped a set that they would have come over the top on the flop to try and get all my chips right there (since the board is dangerous for them as well).

The turn has also put the second [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the board and someone holding say J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] now can get a free card to make their flush. I loathe giving anyone a free card these days.

I guess my secondary consideration here is that I typically only play a couple of hands at best before the blinds reach level 4. If I wind up folding here to any bet (which I understand may be the smartest play here) from the turn or river and if I get my normal distribution of cards for the rest of this tournament, then I will most likely be at around 350 or so chips when the blinds reach level 4. At the $10 level, past experience has shown that I WILL get called when I make any kind of play/steal the vast majority of the time with this small of a stack.

Should this be a consideration when deciding what to do in this particular hand?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:13 PM

at this level, I will raise to 150 or so PF with 3 limpers. You are giving them too great odds to call. In a ideal world, if I have aces, I want 1-2 caller, no more, no less. I feel 150 is the right amount at this level.

I will also overbet the flop and slow down on turn once the str4 completes. That's the worst turn card for you and you are against two. Call me weak, but usually I check fold here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 12:57 PM

At the $11's anyway most players who call the $15 will call your raise, so I would not expect them to necessarily have anything like premium cards.

With 2 calls of your bet on the flop I would be surprised if the 6 didn't give one them a straight. 9T and trips are also possibilities. Maybe it's a mistake, but in the first round I probably check the turn.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:06 PM

I think if you lose a bunch of chips early you can't wait for the fourth round to get aggressive.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will also overbet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Overbetting the flop is just being more conservative, which is the general rule in early rounds. But, not too much more of a bet or you won't be able to fold later on, in which case maybe you would just push instead.