Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Comments on this AKo hand please

Party $10+$1 SNG.

Early in level 3 play. Villain in this hand seems moderately loose. I have seen villain turn over a couple of marginal holdings from way out of position.

I'm not certain whether I made good plays on this hand. I really dislike playing AKo out of the SB so I played it pretty weak preflop I think.

I'm not concerned about the results on this hand, but whether I played the hand well or like a complete fish.

Comments on all streets are greatly appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

UTG (t897)
UTG+1 (t2145)
MP1 (t710)
MP2 (t985)
CO (t1305)
Button (t634)
Hero (t550)
BB (t774)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t125.

Turn: (t400) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t375 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t375.

River: (t1150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1150
Old 01-26-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Comments on this AKo hand please

I like pushing preflop here. Your hand looks to be best at this point, and you have a decent chance to increase your stack by 30% without a showdown.

AK also plays poorly out of position when you miss the flop (which you will most of the time), so it is probably in your best interest to get your money in while you know you're ahead.

If you push and they both fold, you'll have T650, which is enough to have some leverage in the later levels. If you push and get called, you're probably a decent favorite to win the hand.

Loose/poor partypoker 10+1 players can be hard to read because they often slowplay their monsters, yet at the same time they call in situations when they're dominated and overpay for draws. While these players are definitely profitable to play against, they're also tough to put on an exact hand. For this reason, I find it much easier to punish their looseness preflop, rather than perhaps have to make a tough decision later.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party $10+$1 SNG.

I'm not concerned about the results on this hand, but whether I played the hand... like a complete fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, unfortunately you did.

[ QUOTE ]

UTG (t897)
UTG+1 (t2145)
MP1 (t710)
MP2 (t985)
CO (t1305)
Button (t634)
Hero (t550)
BB (t774)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes...

[/ QUOTE ]

I like folding better than this, and folding is the second worst thing you could do.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (t150) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t125.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like open-folding here better than this play, and open-folding is so bad that partypoker doesn't even let you do it without clicking a special box.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (t400) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t375 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t375.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter how emphatically you bet, you can't make a card you don't like disappear.

There's basically one way (or a variation of that one way) to play this hand. You'll know what it is soon.

Irieguy
Old 01-26-2005, 03:42 AM

i dont think you played it awfully

if the blinds were a level lower and there was more than 1 limper i might just complete and fold if i miss - with a significant number of chips on the table and big likelyhood of heads up at worst i push pre-flop

as it was played i push on the flop because its a draw heavy flop - i would dick about on an ace or king high rainbow with no obvious straight draw

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 01-26-2005, 09:10 AM

Great, I've shat meself again. Go easy on the humour please, some of us are working.