Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 PM

Default A request for help

I think I need some help with my STT game, but I think it may be something subtle that I'm just not seeing.

I have tried to post hands that have given me trouble and I try and reply to other posters' request for hand analysis. I seem to be ok on an individual hand basis (at least when posters respond to my requests I don't get blasted for stupid plays, etc.).

I realize my sample size at Party/Empire is too small (only about 150 games) to know if my 15% ROI is actually correct. I could be running hot and be a losing player or be running cold and actually be a 25%+ ROI player.

I have tried just watching tournaments to see if I can spot what some players are doing in order to win, but without knowing whether a player is a 30%+ ROI player, what cards they are holding to make bubble pushes, etc. I don't seem to get very much out of doing that in most cases.

(This next paragraph is not intended as anything other than information pertaining to this request.) I am overall a winning player. I made a $150 deposit over 6 months ago and have turned it into over a $3k bankroll playing ring and SnGs.

I want to move up to the higher buy in tournaments, but I respect and heed the advice of the posters here in this forum, that you should expect your ROI to drop when you move up due to tougher opponents, etc. and that you should not expect your ROI to increase because the better players will respect your raises/pushes etc.

I feel like I should be a 25%+ ROI player at the $11 SnG and I think I might be, but due to a horrible run through much of November and December, that it has kept my ROI below where it should be. However, I have seen too many posts by posters who try and fool themselves with this same thinking to trust my own thoughts regarding my numbers.

So, I am hoping to find someone (or more than 1 someone) who is willing to send (or exchange with me) me some tournament histories that I can run through the Party Poker Replayer so I can examine entire tournaments to see if there is something I'm missing, either large or small or whether it looks like I am playing correctly but just experiencing variance over my small sample size.

If you have gotten this far, play at Party/Empire and have a STT ROI of 25%+ over several hundred STTs at the $11 or $22 level and are willing to aid a fellow player then please send me a PM and we can take it from there.

I realize this is a lot to ask, but I really would be very grateful for the help.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: A request for help

http://teamfu.freeshell.org/ is a great resource. Check out either the "my histories" section or "visitor histories" section for some well played tournaments.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: A request for help

Thank you for the link, but I had already gone through the $11 STTs that I had found there. I felt like the play was just a bit looser in the earlier stages than I am comfortable with.

I was also curious about some of the 3 handed and HU plays that I recall from those sample tournaments. I was hoping to see some tournaments from some of the posters here at 2+2 at the $11 and $22 levels that have solid ROI to see if the 3 handed and HU plays are comparable.

I plan to go through all the $33 STTs I can find there, but I would think there would be significant differences in the play at that level (like players not calling all-ins on the bubble with A3o, etc.) and significantly tighter play in the earlier levels.

I appreciate the response and the link. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]