Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Misplayed Big Slick?

No real reads on the table as yet since this is still my first cycle of the table. I chose this table because it had an average pot of $34 in the afternoon/early evening.

Reads: No reads on anyone.

I didn't really see anything wrong with my play at the time. I was getting no resistance on my betting so I thought I might well have the best hand. Due to comments made after the hand though I thought I would check with my trusted 2+2 posters to see if I did play correctly or if I really screwed this one up.

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

River: (8.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets $5 (All-In)</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 11-23-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Misplayed Big Slick?

I don't see anything wrong with the play, especially with no reads.

No reason to slow down on the turn IMO. If someone had a J and did not raise, I hope they were the ones getting chastised.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:13 PM

No problem here.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 PM

Dude, "no reads on anyone"? Come on.

Flop: I don't like betting into three opponents since you're likely drawing and I don't think you're cleaning up any outs. I guess the pot is big enough that maybe it makes sense, so I don't hate it, but I would have checked. But maybe I am too weak with overcards.

Turn: Basically the same opinion as flop, although now you do have the information that no one raised the flop. Of course that could just mean one of them has a J. If you get raised, do you automatically fold? Good thing no one did, so I assume no one has a J.

River: Right, bet. I think you beat UTG's weak ace and CO's Q.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:03 PM

I think the flop and the turn are both pretty shaky bets. I know we all make them, but this is a major leak I'm trying to fix. I don't see anyone going anywhere on the flop. Would anyone have a problem with check/call on the flop? You have 4 clean 10 outs, and say, 1.5 outs for each A or K. So you'd like to see the turn, but if there's a lot of action, you can fold, but it could easily get checked through, as the other players might fear a check raise. If checked through, then fire a barrel on the turn, but your bet will buy you position, at best, and probably not that. Please feel free to correct me, my missed AK play needs a lot of help. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:14 PM

no prob.