Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Re: I thought I played this a bit weak, but the table coaches...

I am guessing the table talk was along the lines of:

You chased, nice river, nice suck out. With maybe 15 outs, I like ALL of your plays!!!!

Well done
Old 10-26-2004, 06:21 PM

Looks standard. With ~15 outs (3 overcards, 3 gutshot, 9 flush -- sound right?) the turn bet is for value, nes pas?
Old 10-26-2004, 06:48 PM

You cant discount ALL his overcard outs completely. Out of those 6 I think you can give him about 1.5 (Id be willing to go a little higher, but I know this will be vehemently disagreed with)
Old 10-26-2004, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You cant discount ALL his overcard outs completely. Out of those 6 I think you can give him about 1.5 (Id be willing to go a little higher, but I know this will be vehemently disagreed with)

[/ QUOTE ]
Devaluing his overcards to 1/4 is normal here?

Rob
Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 AM

Looks fine to me. I probably would of slowed down on the turn also.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:55 AM

Your overcard outs are pretty weak considering that the ace may be reverse dominated and the jack gives any nine the straight. Alobar's estimate of 1.5 outs seems pretty reasonable to me. I'll give you 2 outs to be nice. That's 14.

That makes betting slightly negative from a value perspective because you may not get three callers and you may get checkraised when you only have 12 outs.

The real problem with betting has not been mentioned. You may prevent UTG or someone else from betting the river after you make your hand. This scenario is not unlikely and could cost you up to 3 BB. The loss is direct when you river a monster and don't get to raise. But even when you river a pair the turn bet creates a problem by exposing you to the threat of a river checkraise. Take a free card now and the river is easy when you make a pair: call one bet or bet if checked to. You don't miss bets and a checkraise is extremely unlikely.

It is true that all of your outs are terribly scary cards. That mitigates the problem but only partially. UTG is very likely to bet the river if you take a free card. He won't like a flush or straight card, but he doesn't know that you have anything other than ordinary overcards. He might even use a scare card to bluff a busted draw or protect a thin value bet.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:20 AM

Played well on all streets. I think there is a good argument for taking the free card on the turn, but a good argument for betting it. I would not three-bet the turn. You are clearly behind, and your three-bet seriously cuts into your odds. Even worse, if he caps, you will have to call, and will have paid way too much for the river.

You probably got a few "nice catch" or "way to chase, moron" kind of comments. That they don't understand why you were right to stay in is a good thing.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:26 AM

I thought I played this a bit weak, but the table coaches... are clueless as usual.

The only debateable play was the turn bet, and I think it is very debateable with a lot of merit going to both checking, and betting. Or, it doesn't really matter, so make whichever choice feels right at the time.