Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 06:45 AM

Default AK hand w/position Stars 20+2

Villian was just moved to the table about an orbit ago and has done nothing special but I did observe him open limp in MP with AJo, so that effected my decision here...How can I play this better? 75 left, 36 get paid, avg stack is around 5500.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

Button (t4190)
SB (t4140)
BB (t12445)
UTG (t3733)
UTG+1 (t8295)
Hero (t5165)
MP2 (t2025)
MP3 (t9195)
CO (t4930)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t600, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1500) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t1900) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4365</font>, UTG+1 calls t4165.

River: (t10630) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t10630

I guess this could be results oriented thinking as well. He had 22 for a turned set. To be honest I don't know what changed my mind from just calling down on the flop to pushing on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: AK hand w/position Stars 20+2

i would reraise preflop. you're calling off a little over 11% of your stack here which isn't really a good idea for a hand that'll only hit 1/3 of the time.

as far as postflop goes, the huge raise on the turn is kind of odd. what was the logic behind it? he's likely to be folding most hands here that you're crushing but will get called by a better hand.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as far as postflop goes, the huge raise on the turn is kind of odd. what was the logic behind it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why I raised so much [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
he's likely to be folding most hands here that you're crushing but will get called by a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I didnt raise the flop, so my turn raise makes no sense [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
i would reraise preflop. you're calling off a little over 11% of your stack here which isn't really a good idea for a hand that'll only hit 1/3 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this advice.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:10 AM

I don't like preflop but another poster already addressed that.
His bet on the flop looks really fishy for any hand. I've seen the donkeys bet like that with a draw before. It could be a set or even a weak hand trying to get information. Regardless I just pretend like he checked and make a normal sized raise, 1/2 pot or more.
Shoving it all in the turn is also rather suboptimal. That said, I don't think you are going to be able to fold tptk here. Still, at least keep the betting in relation to the pot.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:23 AM

Serious lack of aggression both preflop and postflop, then suddently horribly over aggro?

Honest opinion, is that you played badly on all streets.

1. Reraise preflop. You have AK, you have position. If you want to disguise your hand, fine, but I think you have to reraise here.

2. So the flop brings lots of straight possibilities, a flush draw, and TPTK for you. He bets 200 (Hi, my name is a blocking "please let me draw to the turn" bet). Instead of raising to find out where you are at (IE, you'll get hammered by someone who has a better hand, and underpairs will probably fold), you call, allowing someone to draw to a flush, straight, or any other hand that beats you? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

3. Turn. Harmless 2. Yipee. Now, where the hell do I stand again? I've gotten NO information from UTG aside from that he seems to want to continue drawing for cheap. He bets 200. Why not raise to 1k here, and FINALLY see where you are at? Whoops, did I accidentally hit the allin button? Guess I'm only gettin called if I'm dominated (Or maybe 10% of the time by a donk flush draw).

Tough hand sir. There is a reason you would want to get aggressive with this hand. Your hand is a perfect example of why. We all live and learn. Although I think I still have a lot to learn. =)

Nick
Old 07-04-2005, 11:27 AM

By overbetting the pot like that I don't think you are going to get called very often by a hand you have beat.

I say just raise the flop.