Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 12:27 AM

Default repeat problem

I'm somewhat new to Hold'Em, but I have been in a particular situation a few times that I'm not sure how to handle. I guess this situation could be described as I have two big cards in my hand that don't match well with the board. Recently I played a hand that I think is a good example.

Under the gun, I have Ah-Kh

I raise, it gets folded to the player before the button who calls. I just sat down at the table, so I'm not sure how to rate him. Everyone else folds. (5.5 small bets)

Flop - [5c Qd 8h]

I bet and am called. (7.5 small bets)

Turn - [5c Qd 8h] [Ts]

I bet and am called. (5.5 big bets)

River - [5c Qd 8h Ts] [Qc]

I bet and am called.

Questions:

1. Does it make sense to bet the flop and turn?

2. Does betting or checking the river make sense?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: repeat problem

There are a number of factors which go into deciding if you should bet, check and call, or check and fold these types of hands.

Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller, Sklanksy, and Malmuth has a wonderful section on this topic which you need study.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: repeat problem

Apologies if my post is a bit primative. This is my first try at this.

After I read your reply, I re-read the section in Small Stakes Hold-em called Playing Overcards. I'd probably rate my hand as a middle to weak draw. After the flop, the board is fairly well uncoordinated, and I have a backdoor flush draw. By 4th street, the flush draw is gone. I probably should have checked and folded to a bet on the turn, given the relatively small pot.

I have been reading Small Stakes Hold-em and and have been slowly getting to understand the concepts. I had read Winner's Guide to Holdem by Ken Warren previously. I can see now that book is pretty much trash (as many others pointed out on this site). Playing Hold-em after reading SSH is like realizing you've been playing Doom with a PONG paddle, and thinking before that everyone else was using pong paddles. Except now I realize some people have plasma guns.