Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: God and logic

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have not explained what this "god" does, or is supposed to do. Judging from your post, he just sits dormant, and is indistinguishable from the laws of physics. From that standpoint, whether "he" does or does not exist in this "man-like" form, watching over us, is irrelevant. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

God is the ruler of the universe, he created you and me and wants to spend eternity with us in heaven. Because we are imperfect and have sins, he cannot just accept us as we are, since he is just and must punish sin. To solve this, he sent himself in human form to earth to die, become sin, and pay the price for us. If you really want to know more, read the Bible.

[ QUOTE ]

If not, what makes you so sure "he" exists, and what does "he" do for you? Does just knowing "he" is not an "it" make you feel better about your life?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure he exists because he revealed himself to me and he indwells in me in the form of the Holy Spirit. He strengthens, comforts, teaches, loves, and ultimately controls my life. Knowing that when I die, I will face an eternity living in heaven is the most reassuring feeling in the world.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I'm happy your life is going well, and that god has revealed "himself" to you. Maybe you can talk to him about war, disease, poverty, famine, murder, torture, rape, etc., because it seems while he was attending to your needs, he has overlooked some very serious issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

God is all-knowing and all-powerful. He can't "overlook" something. Just because if YOU were God you'd put an end to poverty, etc. does not mean the one real God must do as you would in order to be God. The truth is, suffering in this world is a direct cause of the sinful nature of humans (greed, etc). If God's hand did not protect us our world would fall apart and everyone would die. If he wanted, he could end all of the things you think are "problems" in this world, but that is not part of his plan. Wars, diseases, and poverty are things that affect people's temporary lives on earth, but what is much more important is your eternal soul, which will either live with God or forever separated from him after your earthly body dies. If you earnestly seek the answer to your question, this website, http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs..._suffering.asp explains it a lot better than I can.

Anyways, I am happy and you can be too. Don't just give up on learning about God because of some of your misconceptions. That would be a tragedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

oooooooh kaaaaaaaaay. I'm gonna go now.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:27 PM

Are you trying to convince yourself of something by telling us this?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to convince yourself of something by telling us this?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Welcome to 2+2 btw.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure he exists because he revealed himself to me

[/ QUOTE ]

So before this revelation happened you didn't believe in him. Would you agree that anyone who hasn't had such a revelation is also correct not to believe in him.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

No I wouldn't. Before it was revealed to me that Santa Claus did not exist, I was still INCORRECT in believing that he existed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm struggling to understand you. Can we go slowly for me please?

Firstly am I correct to understand that you didn't believe in god before he revealed himself to you?

Thanks

chez
Old 07-30-2005, 09:52 PM

Ok, bro. So we have this post. And this post. Time for a new screen name.

Talk to ya then.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:21 AM

I got this from a physics textbook which I had as an ebook.

I just upgraded my HDD, though, and it looks like the physics folder was a casualty.

If I find it again, I'll give you the reference. I have a backup somewhere...
Old 07-31-2005, 12:37 AM

interesting Galileo-catholic link
Old 07-31-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
interesting Galileo-catholic link

[/ QUOTE ]

"tragic mutual incomprehension"

hmmm. Not unlike some of the dialogue around here.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-31-2005, 01:15 PM

"The Victorian biologist Thomas Henry Huxley, who had no brief for Catholicism, once examined the case and concluded that "the Church had the best of it."

That's a funny line. We should replace "The Victorian biologist Thomas Henry Huxley" with "the acclaimed writer/gambler/thinker David Sklansky"
Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, bro. So we have this post. And this post. Time for a new screen name.

Talk to ya then.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahahahahahah