Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Quick cold call question

[ QUOTE ]
clarkmeister wrote a post way back when about things small stakes players should unlearn and coldcalling with suited connectors was one of them.

funny thing is, the more experience you gain and the better you get, you start to unlearn what you unlearned and start coldcalling with suited connectors again.

benefits
1) multiway hand in a decent sized multiway pot
2) the button
3) you supposedly play better postflop than your opposition

negatives
1) cuts your implied odds in half when you coldcall
2) gonna get expensive

the better you get, the more you can get the positives to outweigh the negatives, but at this stage i don't think it'd be bad to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
clarkmeister is a wise man and I agree, but I think I would call with T9s and maybe 98s in a similar situation when I expect maybe 2 more callers behind me (a total of +5 players to see the flop, me excluded).
Old 11-26-2005, 05:47 PM

As long as one of the blinds isn't a maniac, I call. You have great position and the pot is already laying you 8.5:2 which will most likely end up being 9.5-10.5:2. You are in a position to win a huge pot if you hit and can usually easily release on the flop it it doesn't hit you.

Also, not to use a book as too much of a crutch, but SSH does say to make the call even in a tight game. Just be sure you know how to play this hand post flop.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as one of the blinds isn't a maniac, I call. You have great position and the pot is already laying you 8.5:2 which will most likely end up being 9.5-10.5:2. You are in a position to win a huge pot if you hit and can usually easily release on the flop it it doesn't hit you.

Also, not to use a book as too much of a crutch, but SSH does say to make the call even in a tight game. Just be sure you know how to play this hand post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm on the same line. On the flop I had a backdoor flushdraw and overcard outs (which I counted to a total of 2.5 - 3.5 outs) and had an easy call, but I didn't improve and folded the turn.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:30 PM

I'd go ahead and call b/c playing hands is fun and if it is a mistake it can't be that big of one. On top of that you might win a big pot, which is also fun.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go ahead and call b/c playing hands is fun and if it is a mistake it can't be that big of one. On top of that you might win a big pot, which is also fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

id go ahead and call too but as already said, if flop isnt (almost)perfect for me, then im folding to too much action

but then again, my reasoning is prob cos its fun and i like fun [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 AM

You say 7 players seen this flop?

I would play all the way down to 65s here. Easily. I mean super easy call.