Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 03:27 PM

Default AA : Poor play for which I deserved to be busted?

Below is the hand history from a $1/$2 NL Hold Em hand at Pokerstars ($200 Max Buy-In). Below it I attempt to justify my play - I know AA should almost never be slow played but I felt these were special circumstances. I think my post flop play is possibly unforgivable. All comments appreciated.

I am player "kumarnaib".

PokerStars Game #1029081605: Hold'em No Limit ($1/$2
Table 'Inna' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: joefish78 ($200.20 in chips)
Seat 2: golfinpete ($205.30 in chips)
Seat 3: Mighty Duck ($115.75 in chips)
Seat 4: ViCiouSRaGe ($146.45 in chips)
Seat 5: mark69 ($194 in chips)
Seat 6: *** kumarnaib ($203.40 in chips)
Seat 7: *** dirtyshan ($181.40 in chips)
Seat 8: *** Nat Schuff ($140.50 in chips)
Seat 9: PokerJello ($191.55 in chips)

Mighty Duck: posts small blind $1
ViCiouSRaGe: posts big blind $2

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to kumarnaib [As Ah]

mark69: folds
kumarnaib: calls $2
dirtyshan: raises $6 to $8
Nat Schuff: calls $8
PokerJello: folds
joefish78: folds
golfinpete: folds
Mighty Duck: folds
ViCiouSRaGe: folds
kumarnaib: calls $6

*** FLOP *** [4d Jc 5d]
kumarnaib: checks
dirtyshan: bets $6
Nat Schuff: raises $10 to $16
kumarnaib: raises $10 to $26
dirtyshan: raises $10 to $36
Nat Schuff: folds
kumarnaib: raises $34 to $70
dirtyshan: raises $103.40 to $173.40 and is all-in
kumarnaib: calls $103.40

*** TURN *** [4d Jc 5d] [Ks]
*** RIVER *** [4d Jc 5d Ks] [Qh]

*** SHOW DOWN ***
kumarnaib: shows [As Ah] (a pair of Aces)
dirtyshan: shows [Js Jh] (three of a kind, Jacks)
dirtyshan collected $386.80 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $389.80 | Rake $3
Board [4d Jc 5d Ks Qh]

The raiser and the cold caller were playing LAG at the time (though the raiser was not raising trash pre-flop in EP and MP). They had played several pots together taking huge amounts from each other in the last few mins. I felt I could rely upon the raiser to bet the flop big whatever fell and more than likely for the cold caller to raise him (again whatever fell). That part of my plan worked, but with the action that followed should I have known my AA was beaten and got out of there? When I made the final All-In call I had the raiser on KK, QQ or JJ - 2 of which I buried. Was this simply appaling play by me?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: AA : Poor play for which I deserved to be busted?

If this were party, and 50x bb tables, i think smooth calling with AA is ok pf. BUT, (and I'm not quoting exactly, but my memory serves me pretty well, so just work with me) according to Ciaffone/Reubon, the only times to really slowplay AA before the flop are when:
You're heads up.
You have position.
You will be able to get it all in on the flop with a bet by them and a raise by you.

Since none of these conditions exist, you should reraise pf. (as in, limp/reraise...) Or just open raise yourself.

Also, you kept trading bets back and forth on the flop, (such a weird betting sequence) I think when he pushed I would not think my one pair is good, but sometimes you just have to see their hand.

And no, you dont "deserve" to be busted, it sucks to lose your stack with AA, but yes, you could've played it much better. Fix your preflop situation and the whole hand becomes much simpler.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:09 AM

Thankyou for the reply BobboFitos.

Thinking about the hand if I had limp re-raised big I am still fairly sure he would have called and with my seemingly often poor play against LAGs he may well have trapped me all-in so guess I just have to correct my pre flop play in future and try to learn from it. And get better at playing LAGs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2005, 09:17 AM

Ok, let me put in bluntly.

Preflop play aside, what exactly are you trying to accomplish by min-raising on the flop? It will not "thin" the field, neither do you have ANY chances to take down the pot with your first raise.

I do not think the slowplaying aces is that bad preflop, but you must have excellent postflop skills to play with this style. Make a significant raise, say a raise to $30 or $40, and try to take it down. If your opponent calls you, the play is highly dependent on your read of your opponent.

In the future, perhaps you could you the BisonBison hand generator so that the names of the players in your hand history can be removed and remain anonymous.