Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 09:56 AM

Default cap pf with A10 in mp, after agg bb 3-bets?

I have A10o in MP at a table with a somewhat tight, somewhat weakish image. I raise, and everyone folds to the BB, who is TAGish, but overly aggressive. He reraises. I cap.

Flop was KQ8. He checked, I bet, and he folded.

My question is whether it made sense to cap this pf, considering I had position.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: cap pf with A10 in mp, after agg bb 3-bets?

I do it against LAGS a lot of the time, but when I do it I have an overall LAGish image so this may not help. I steal a lot of pots and get paid off with big hands sometimes.

If you are TAG it may make even more sense to do it once in a while, because you can hit a flop. Against a LAG you may be able to take the pot away a lot on the flop after a cap pf. What is the LAGS WTS etc, and FF stats?

True
Old 12-21-2005, 12:05 PM

What do you do if he bets into you on the flop? If you get c/r'd on the flop, do you call for the gutshot if we are discounting the A outs?

As for your question of whether it made sense to cap with position in this situation...you will really have to have an opponent paying attention to your image to have it make sense. But, I think my initial questions relate to your cap PF, what's your plan when it doesn't go this smoothly?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if he bets into you on the flop? If you get c/r'd on the flop, do you call for the gutshot if we are discounting the A outs?

As for your question of whether it made sense to cap with position in this situation...you will really have to have an opponent paying attention to your image to have it make sense. But, I think my initial questions relate to your cap PF, what's your plan when it doesn't go this smoothly?

[/ QUOTE ]

If villian bets out or check/raises you should be seeing a turn card with your gut shot outs alone.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:18 PM

I would think we'd have to see the turn, too. However, since we're trying to steal this pot on a semi-bluff, would you raise a flop bet hoping he's trying to push you off?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 PM

Once I cap pf, I feel pretty obligated to be aggressive on the flop no matter what. So if he bets into me, I'm raising, regardless of the board.

On this board, if he c/r the flop, I'll see the turn and reevaluate. If he merely calls the flop, I could have tough decision on turn. I think it all depends on the turn card.

I'll elaborate about pf concerns. If I think the villain is trying to bully me, then does it make sense to slow-him down by capping flop? I tend to think that the play may not make sense when viewing the hand in isolation, but it might make sense to slow-him down against me in the future.

I would like other views about pf, though.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would like other views about pf, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fine. I'm still trying to work it into my game.

Krishan
Old 12-21-2005, 12:39 PM

PF alone, if I felt that villain was loose enough to 3-bet with a weaker ace, small PP (66-TT) range and is really trying to push you around, then there is definitely merit to continue to be the agressor instead of villain. When you continue to be the aggressor, villain should be giving you more credit for your hand than you are for his and that's definitely in your favor even when you don't hit.

The cap saves you the trouble of calling or raising a flop bet from his 89s when you have no idea if you would only be drawing to your gutshot. Maybe the real pay-off of slowing him down is when you begin to 3-bet his PF raises?

I'm only asking so many questions b/c I like the play.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:45 PM

I'd rather do this with T9s than ATo for a variety of reasons but I do it with a fairly wide range in stealresteal situations.

Rob
Old 12-21-2005, 01:50 PM

I just talked a bit more about this with a very wise man. (I'd identify him, but he is modest to a fault.)

I mentioned that a big part of the issue for me is trying to figure out pf whether I'm likely to want my opponent to fold on the flop. If I think my hand is best, one could argue that it's better to extract more bets later from villain.

But the wise man has reminded me about the size of the pot, leading to two choices:
(1) If we cap, the pot is now big enough that we really do want to win the pot on the flop, rather than let villain pursue his 6 outs or so (assuming that neither of us pair, and he's got 2 other high cards).
(2) If we don't cap, the pot won't be as big. So we want more bets out of our opponent on flop and/or turn. But without capping, our opponent (who is aggressive) will certainly lead the flop. We could raise then or wait until the turn. But this second option is more complicated, potentially more profitable, but also more risky.

So, it now seems to me that the pf cap might be the path of least resistance, at least against this particular opponent.

I also should add that there is a significant "feels good to cap" factor. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]