Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 12:59 PM

Default Re: A not very interesting AA hand

Easy 3-bet on the flop. We could have the usual discussion about reraising versus calling and checkraising, but this is a 3-way pot. Charge SB for his draw while you know he is willing to pay. Otherwise he may take a card off with a gutshot or middle/bottom pair and fold the turn when he misses.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:02 PM

3 bet the flop because the SB check/called 2 cold. Give the button the chance to cap and have the SB pay 3 or 4 bets to see the turn. Make SB crap pay max to suck out your AA.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:11 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Guidelines

I think in the book he defines it as a pot that was raised preflop 4 ways or more, 6 ways unraised, or any pot where there was a 3-bet.

but it isn't a big pot just because Ed said so. it's just a general guideline.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:02 PM

I'd probably 3-bet the flop to collect an extra small bet from SB when he's behind, but I don't hate the smooth call of Button's raise because he's representing a big Q and this looks like a prime opportunity to get an extra BB out of both opponents on the turn. I don't think there much chance of the turn checking through, so going for the checkraise seems like a reasonable line to take.

But if you're going to sacrifice a bet on one street in order to pick one up later, then do it.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:16 PM

I know we might be getting into semantics here but I think you are slightly misinterpreting ed's concept. In a large pot if you miss a CR that's a big disaster but if you thought a CR would help you win the pot a significantly larger percentage of the time, you should still CR as the risk is worth the reward. In this particular hand the raise is directly to his left so there is no real way to protect his hand with a CR on the turn. This is the major point in this hand, after he realizes this fact he can evaluate the pot size. If the pot were small he would want to build that sucker up as he will win it a large percentage of the time, so it might be worth the risk of a CR to build the pot. Since the pot is already large there is no need to risk a CR and should probably just 3 bet the flop and lead the turn. In either case since both the button and the SB call the 2 bets I think he's better off 3betting the flop.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:34 PM

A key point to realize is this hand cannot be protected to any significant degree. The chances of losing to a hand that we could have forced out are nearly zero.

We just need to maximize our profit.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:45 PM

I like the flat call but only to check raise on the turn.,
Old 07-27-2004, 03:50 PM

As far as I can tell you're agreeing with me....but I'm not sure.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:57 PM

Button had KQ, SB had TT, MHIG. I obviously missed some bets because I didn't stick to the plan I formed on the flop.