Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:21 PM

Default I need to like coffee

Im a pussy. A pussy with ADHD, and if I dont get some Adderall soon, I will Ruin Christmas... possibly forever.

That having been said, caffeine seems to help in the interim. The only relatively healthy way to get caffeine is through coffee.

Problem is, I [censored] hate coffee. I like Starbucks, frappucino "Closet Gay" coffee. I know I need to man up and just drink it, but it is so [censored] bitter. So! I figured you guys might be able to help me out... what kind of flavorings can I get for home that would make my coffee more palatable.

Also, to someone who doesnt drink alot, do the beans matter? or are they only discernible to a constant coffee drinker?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: I need to like coffee

Eh, liking the "gay" sweet coffee drinks are nothing to be ashamed of. I'll only drink coffee if it's like half milk with a couple sugars. I've tried to develop a taste for black coffee but it hasn't worked so far.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to man up and just drink it, but it is so [censored] bitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, theres this stuff called sugar that I hear people put in coffee. Good Luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:30 PM

um yeah... but for mine to taste allright, I need like a little coffee to go with my sugar, Im thinking it might be the [censored] beans.

so off to the other post I go.

in other news, does anyone else make the frappucino tasting stuff at home? any particular flavors of additives you use?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:31 PM

Some random thoughts...

Vanilla Silk or 8th Continent is mildly sweet, and takes a little of the edge off the coffee.

If you don't like bitter, avoid "French Roast". Starbucks Breakfast Blend, for instance, is pretty mild.

Most large supermarkets now have whole beans that you can grind at the store, and they're cheaper than the boutique coffee. Grind them up in the store and then keep them in the fridge at home.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some random thoughts...

Vanilla Silk or 8th Continent is mildly sweet, and takes a little of the edge off the coffee.

If you don't like bitter, avoid "French Roast". Starbucks Breakfast Blend, for instance, is pretty mild.

Most large supermarkets now have whole beans that you can grind at the store, and they're cheaper than the boutique coffee. Grind them up in the store and then keep them in the fridge at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thats exactly the information I needed, thanks! Yeah I actually have Silk and 8th continent in my fridge, Im kind of a health nut.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:47 PM

I used to dump a shitload of sugar in my coffee when I first started drinking it. I mean rot-your-teeth-out-make-it-taste-like-your-drinking liquid-cotton-candy amounts of sugar. I used to get so buzzed it was awesome, until I crashed like a mofo about a half hour after the last cup.

So I started using less and less sugar until I could drink it black, which is how I prefer it now. Actually, the richer the better.

Do you drink beer? It's kinda the same principal, it's an acquired taste, but once you get used to the taste you can actually enjoy it.

PG
Old 11-09-2005, 02:50 PM

You could try drinking iced coffee only, that is what I do. Iced coffee with soymilk is not bad at all, but I have Starbucks. I go to other local places.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:55 PM

Despite my handle, I actually don't do black coffee. Must have cream and sweetener, except for Jamaican Blue Mountain, which requires nothing and is served in heaven.

Yes...the beans matter. Starbucks coffee is, IMHO, the worst tasting crap in the world...overroasted, bitter as hell, and not at all enjoyable. If you are hellbent on drinking something from Starbucks, get a latte, or order an Americano, which is essentially drip coffee using their espresso beans, which are actually good.

Honestly, for my home use, since I'm on a bit of a budget(a bit needlessly), I actually use Folgers Special Roast, which is a medium roast, costs the same as normal Folgers, and is actually quite tasty. Other than that, do what the other posters said...grind up the specialty blends at the supermarket.

Keep in mind...the darker the roast, the heavier and stronger the flavor, and also, the less caffeine, surprisingly enough. I prefer a roast a bit lighter, tending toward the light side, but not quite(city roast, to be technical), but it is all a matter of preference. I find that the lighter roasts tend to be smoother, but just read the descriptions on the beans. Stick to the "dessert" blends that have words like "Holiday," "Vanilla," or "Creme" in them...they will always be smoother and sweeter...unless they're from Starbucks.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to dump a shitload of sugar in my coffee when I first started drinking it. I mean rot-your-teeth-out-make-it-taste-like-your-drinking liquid-cotton-candy amounts of sugar. I used to get so buzzed it was awesome, until I crashed like a mofo about a half hour after the last cup.

So I started using less and less sugar until I could drink it black, which is how I prefer it now. Actually, the richer the better.

Do you drink beer? It's kinda the same principal, it's an acquired taste, but once you get used to the taste you can actually enjoy it.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, Im a beer drinker, and actually kind of a conniseur, and I would like to get that way with coffee... I kinda have to drink it, so I might as well enjoy it.

Im not hellbent on Starbucks, I just nkow so little abuot coffee that thats the only name I know.

Thanks for the suggestions... Im gonna try to find mild blends around.