Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Default No content, parents

I just wondered if any of you have this problem. I play poker and my parents and brothers and sisters dont know about it. The reason they dont know is because they dont like it and want me to focus on my classes.

Ps. I just lost 3 blinds because of it; since I had to quit really quick(they came to town uninvited.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Ps2. I just switched to 6max from fullring and its much more fun.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: No content, parents

the LAG play is to kill your parents.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wondered if any of you have this problem. I play poker and my parents and brothers and sisters dont know about it. The reason they dont know is because they dont like it and want me to focus on my classes.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you know they don't like it if they don't know?

If you're paying your own way through school, it's your choice.

If they're paying your bills (and especially if any of their money is in your poker bankroll) they have a very good point.

Not to mention that you'll be missing out on the best time of your life. School first, poker second (or third, after girls...or fourth, after parties...or...).
Old 10-01-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the LAG play is to kill your parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

and the LPP play is to tell your parents that you play poker and let them kill you.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:09 PM

:/

I have thought about just continuing without telling anyone. I dont really give a [censored] about what my parents know but they do have a point. School should come first but I just dont feel like it. I just wondered if anyone been in my situation and said [censored] poker, go school. Or something.

edit: sorry about the censored words, didnt know.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:14 PM

BTW, this should have been posted in the Psychology forum.

In fact, it was, just not by you.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] poker, go school.

[/ QUOTE ]

or sports, or girls, or friends, or partying.

Dude, it you are as young as you sound, you need to get out. Poker will be here for the rest of your life. (hopefully) I hate to sound too old, but I'm glad I didn't have poker when I was worrying about my 'parents finding out'. Now you got me worried about you. Go party, get drunk, or high, or take danse lessons with wookie. Do something. Save online poker for when you're an old dude with nothing else to do. Like me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Thank you!

You cheered me up! This was a kick in the right direction that I needed. Hopefully I will be able to stay focused. I also want to thank Ignignokt for the link he posted. Spot on!

Cheers all!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:24 PM

Keepitsimple,

You have to make school a priority. Poker, albeit a great opportunity, is not an easy way to make a great living. College will lead you to bigger and better things, brighter future, and more money to play poker with. I know you "may not want to" but you have to be responsible about this. Make school #1 priorty, and play poker when school is taken care of. Its very possible to do classes, study and then play poker when done, for a healthy amount of time. I know, because I am doing it right now. I mean no disrespect, but when you head to college, it is about learning responsibility as well as learning life experiences and of course a future career. Take advantage of this, its very +EV. I gave up my chance for my "free ride" of sort through college by dropping out when i was right out of high school. Now I am paying for it myself, and stuck with a lot more in student loans than i would have had before. Stick with College, its a no brainer.

If you need to vent about college, feel free to PM me.. i've been where you were in how you feel.

Good luck.

Acehawk