Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Re: WSOP tournament was originally just one NLHE event

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since they'll never televise this game it doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stud-8 is likely too complicated to televise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't what my question was about.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Negreanu Criticizes the WSOP \'s one-dimensional lineup

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the Stud event with Ted Forrest calling the normally solid Chad Brown all the way to the river with a winning pair of deuces was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who gave you the idea Chad Brown was, or ever has been, "solid?"

To the other poster who said the non-HE events aren't rerun as much. They have been replayed in their exact order on the same schedule as every other event. No one event has been replayed more than others, with the exclusion of older WSOP events (for instance, the 2004 main event and this year's will obviously have more play than the non-main event episodes).

It's also pretty short-sighted to say that non-HE events haven't grown with their TV coverage. Sure, stud is never going to replace NLHE, but here are the numbers from 2004 compared to 2005 in # of entrants in each non-NLHE event (this is EVERY event for each game):

Stud - 402
PLO - 508
LHE - 1,585
Stud/8 - 437
O/8 - 729
Razz - 195

Stud - 664
PLO - 802
LHE - 3,116
Stud/8 - 874
O/8 - 1,282

Obviously, PLO had a few new events in 2005. One clear reason is the televised coverage. I'm still in shock they didn't cover the $10k PLO, considering it was a $10k event and all.

However, O/8, Stud/8 and Razz had no television coverage this year, but their numbers all increased. Razz is obviously a product of television. The others are probably increased interest in the game due to Annie Duke and Cindy Violette winning and getting a little airtime.

It's obvious poker as a whole is booming, but there's NO reason for the WSOP to just ignore these games when they still bring in a crowd and still pay the entry fees. Like I said, on a day where there's a 1,000 player field limit hold 'em event or something, there's no reason they can't fill another 30 tables for a stud/8 event.

The LHE numbers are also due to an increase in the number of events, but never before had there been a 1,000+ player field LHE event at the WSOP until this year. Last year, they put LHE on TV for the first time. Coincidence? I think not.

I don't even think anyone cares at all about these events getting coverage. We all know O8 and HORSE and so forth wouldn't make for good TV.

And whoever said PLO doesn't make for good TV just doesn't get it. I really think that this year, they had some GREAT PLO coverage, excluding A) the announcers ineptitude for the game, and B) choosing stupid hands to show due to a lack of understanding of the game.