Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Derrick Brooks

Agreed. Without Derrick Brooks, any of the past Buccaneers success since he got there would be jeopardized. Ceartinly from a Bucs' fan standpoint, with all due respect to Lee Roy Selmon, Brooks might very well go down as the best Buccaneer, and one of the better Linebackers of this era.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:16 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Lewis is a great motivator. He could even motivate that piece of sh*t Sam Adams to play well. Sorry, residue from seattle bleeding through.

However, being a diehard buc fan, I like Brooks.

b
Old 09-16-2005, 10:24 AM

Totally different positions with totally different responsiblities. In the tampa-2 scheme, you want playmakers at 3 positions,

the "3" or "under takle" which is what Sapp was or what Booger McFarland is right now. This guys job is to quickly penatrate into the backfield and disrupt plays

WEAK outside linebacker of which derrick brooks is probably one of the best ever. Should be fun to watch this sunday when two of the best WOLB's in the game play. This guys job is to run to the football, and play zone def very well, hence the amount of INT's brooks has had in his career

And Strong Safety, and when Lynch was in his prime he was the perfect Strong Safety, and have studs at those 3 positions is what made the Tampa D so great.

Notice that Dungy is 1 player away in Indy from overhauling that Def. Sanders is good at SS, Simon will get back down to his FSU playing weight when he was a force. All they are missing is that WOLB, I don't think Cato June is it.

In the Ravens' 4-3 Lewis is more similar to Zach Thomas of the Dolphins. They each have 2 huge guys in front of them to take on the 2 guards and center and all they have to do is find the RB. Lewis's instincts are the best I have seen from a MLB personally (I'm 25) And his coverage skills are amazing for a MLB, but I think it is tougher to move out to WOLB than it is to move in to MLB. Neither player would be a good fit for SOLB. (Watch Jeff Posey this weekend, one of hte most underrated LB'ers in the league)

So in other words after that breakdown of the defenses, both guys are asked to do different things, so their skillset's need to be different. However, I think it is easier to find a tackling MLB with 2 space eaters in front of him, than it is to find the unbelievable athlete needed to be a star at the WOLB.

I take brooks, but its close
Old 09-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Derrick Brooks is one of the best defensive players in the game. I stop liking the team when Warren Sapp and Keyshawn left. I also thought Alstott was an effective 2nd back for the team that should give more touches.

Though the Bucs still have the one, the only, Chris Simms.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the Ravens' 4-3 Lewis is more similar to Zach Thomas of the Dolphins. They each have 2 huge guys in front of them to take on the 2 guards and center and all they have to do is find the RB.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first season the ravens have used the 4-3 (actually its really a 5 or 6 - 3 or 2) since 2001-2002, marvin lewis' last season before going to dc. The defense you describe was employed when they won the superbowl in 2000-2001 and ray had tony siragusa and sam adams (a pro bowler) clogging up the middle in front of him. The ravens are not returning to this defense this year.

Ray won the 2003 defensive player of the year in a base 3-4 playing behind an undersized nose guard, kelly gregg.

[ QUOTE ]
So in other words after that breakdown of the defenses, both guys are asked to do different things, so their skillset's need to be different. However, I think it is easier to find a tackling MLB with 2 space eaters in front of him

[/ QUOTE ]

like jamie sharper or edgerton "tacklemonster" hartwell? You backhanded insinuation that ray lewis is simply a "tackling middle linebacker hiding behind space eaters" reveals a complete lack of knowledge about ray's game. they have played pro football the last 3 seasons.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:45 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I stop liking the team when Warren Sapp and Keyshawn left.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you only liked them in their 'up' years? hmm. go pats! huh?

b