Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 12:26 AM

Default how to play low pair

i struggle with how to play low pairs, especially 22:
early to middle of multi table tourney i have about 25% of avg, about 10x BB; i'm short-stacked. UTG raises to 2x BB which eqauls about 20% of my stack. I'm in middle position, folded to me....what to do i do? I folded and UTG took it without showing....i am second-guessing this now.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: how to play low pair

I, personally, would fold here. There are too many people left to act, plus UTG will likely call your bet as he shows strength by raising up front. I say dump it here, and hope for a better spot (either card-wise or position-wise) to push.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:29 AM

i have 22 if that was not clear
Old 11-02-2004, 01:40 AM

It would help to know stack sizes in numbers but your only 2 options would probably be fold or push. if UTG has a decent size stack then your push depending on how small yours is might not be high enough to be getting a good folding equity and no matter what he calls with unless hes playin with a 2 in his hand its a race. Theres still a lot better opportunitys and i would fold the 22 and probably any pocekt pair up to 9 probably. Wait for a better timing.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:50 AM

Easy fold for me. You're shortstacked but you're not desperate. You can wait a little and you'll pick up something better. A mini-raise by someone UTG can mean anything from a low pocket pair to AA, AK, etc. You've got several people left to act behind you and you don't really know what you're up against.

If I'm in EP I would probably push with 66 and higher IF I'm the first to enter the pot. If someone has entered in front of me, even as a limper, I'd probably bump that up to 99. As I get better and better position I'd drop that requirement down to where I am going all-in with no limpers holding 22 in late position.