Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Sweet chess run

I was getting killed playing poker dropping just under 100k in four days, so I decided to play some chess, to invite justice back into my life.

I was only barely expert strength in my playing days, and much worse now, but I logged onto my friends ICC who has a 5 minute rating of 2200+ (highest in the world is 2600). 2200 is super strong in 5 minute and probabbly around 2400 strength USCF. So I get in there and beat a few 2100's 5 minute guys, and next thing you know I am playing 4 IM's and 2 GM's in a row. In the next 11 games I went something like 7-2-2. I ended up with 3 or 4 victories against strong IM's and a draw against GM Christiansen (had help from a friend in that game though) where i choked away a rook an pawn ending up two pawns, both connected and passed on the 6th and allowed a draw. That was for sure my best chess run ever. I'm sure nobody cares, but I'd thought I brag anyway. My apologies to the few superstar chess players on this forum who would see this as a normal day's work (i.e. curtains). If i could find the games in my library still, I would have posted my favorite games, but alas I can't.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Sweet chess run

Congrats. Sorry on the other stuff, too.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was getting killed playing poker dropping just under 100k in four days

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope everything is ok with you...I appreciate your posts and insight over the years and hope the 100 large isn't horrendously crushing for you financially now (I know you've done very well over the years). Poker can be very brutal in the short run (which of course is why it's easy to win or lose 10k in a day at cards and you won't find that kinda action at chess unless your opponent has you by the balls). Good luck man.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate your posts and insight over the years

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

Luckily these four weeks were preceeded by my best ten days ever, so I was following the Ray Zee model -if you are running well play higher.

So much for the stereotype that the old white-haired man knows best. He just says that because he's waiting at the top for E-Zee money.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I get in there and beat a few 2100's 5 minute guys, and next thing you know I am playing 4 IM's and 2 GM's in a row. In the next 11 games I went something like 7-2-2. I ended up with 3 or 4 victories against strong IM's and a draw against GM Christiansen (had help from a friend in that game though) where i choked away a rook an pawn ending up two pawns, both connected and passed on the 6th and allowed a draw. That was for sure my best chess run ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome! Lucky! From a fellow woodpusher, congrats. Sorry about your roll :S

PS - can't believe you blew that endgame.

ScottieK
Old 11-18-2005, 08:29 PM

Wish i was good enough to give you a challenge JV.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:33 PM

You did the right thing, JV. Too bad it didn't work out, but I'm sure you still have some money from your good run squirrelled under your mattress. I'm also sorry I don't play chess, otherwise, I'd like to let you take me behind the woodshed. Better luck is in your future, my friend.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:54 PM

Im a new poster on this site and would like to say Im sorry to hear about your loss at the poker table.

Regarding chess, I know enough about the game (1500 USCF) to be impressed with your run you had with the blitz games. Nice job. Your obviously gifted with a good mind.

Was that Larry Christianson you beat?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:36 AM

Just curious if the chess guys play for money. I'm imagining if they are as dedicated as poker players but make no cash the wives and girlfriends might not be so understanding of the time thing.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:52 AM

Larry Christiansen is somebody I've dealt with a few times back in my Boston chess playing days. His reputation as a blitz player is considerably stronger than his regular playing reputation (which is obviously GM great).

Those in New England may be familiar with William Kelleher, a very strong ~2400 player. He and Christiansen are good friends. Kelleher is also a better blitz player than normal player. When the two play together, I believe the norm is for Christiansen to spot Kelleher at least a pawn and Christiansen is still the favorite.

So, just drawing Christiansen is astounding.

But, I wouldn't bet on you doing it twice. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

For those interested, here is a game where Kelleher beats Super GM Michael Adams (often ranked in the top 10 in the world). Link to Game