Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 02:47 PM

Default A Couple of 5/10 Hands...

Adjusting my aggression and my calldowns so far have been uneasy. The dynamics of this game are in a different league from 3/6 6m. Most of the players pay off less, isolate lighter, and are significantly tighter. Anyone else here playing the 5/10?

<font color="blue">Hand 1</font>

Villain is 37/4/.6 after 400+ mined hands. BB is unknown.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button checks.

River: (5.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.70 BB

<font color="blue">Hand 2</font>

Villain is 42/20/1.6 after 100+ hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises (folding to a 3-bet)</font>...
Old 12-22-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: A Couple of 5/10 Hands...

Hand 1: Turn checks like Villain's in this hand sure are popular these days. A lot of times it seems like the action in a hand either takes place on the flop or the turn, but not both.

I'm tempted to look Villain up, closing the action on the river. But he's not very aggressive, and what probably happened on the turn is that he was worried a jack was out there and didn't feel like finding out where it was. Or maybe Villain has a jack and decided to trap once he caught trips.

Anyway, I doubt this guy is firing with QT or KT or ace-high on the river versus two opponents, but who knows?

Hand 2: I might've just kept calling down on the river, because I want to show down against this donk. Still, he probably doesn't have a 7. One difficulty is that he also probably won't pay off with a busted wheel draw or busted flush draw. He may pay off with a 5, though. He also might pay off with a worse pocket pair, but it also seems like there's a good chance he would've raised any of those preflop. (Well, maybe not. 100+ hands isn't a whole lot.)

What I might've done in this hand is pop the turn. I'm not really sure what's best, actually.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:02 PM

Something is odd in Hand 1. I would say his check on the turn seems suspicious like he might be going for a check-raise, but he seems pretty passive to do that. I sometimes see oddly played high pocket pairs (QQ, KK) played this way by someone of these stats. Assuming he is not being tricky, he didn't like the turn J for fear of one of you guys making trips...with the river J, he's betting, figuring you guys probably don't have one. I think you made a good fold here, but it's tough.

Hand 2 - I'm popping the turn here on the chance that Villian is on a diamond draw and is betting an obvious scare card into you on the turn. By raising the river, you're hoping he's betting a lower overpair or something like A5, because those are the only hands that you beat that are paying you off - he likely won't pay off if he has a busted flush draw and your vag is hurting if he does have a 7. I think folding the river to a 3-bet here is going to have people taking shots at you in future hands.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Soma, I play the 5/10. Of course, I'm not very good at it...

Hand 1: I'd usually make a continuation bet here on the flop unless my table image is crappy. Yes, the Jack is bad news, but you have some backdoor draws to go with your overcards. The way you played it, I'd look him up on the river. Yes, his numbers are on the passive side, but I think you'll see a busted straight draw or something funky often enough to be worthwhile.

2. I hate any plan that involves folding a strong overpair to a LAG on the river. Change it to Hero plans to curse and call if 3-bet on the river, and I love the whole hand.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:16 PM

Hand 1: I'd bet the flop and if raised I call. Turn is a lot harder. With what hand could i have raised preflop, not capped the flop and now being helped by a jack? AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 99, AJ, KJ? All those hands would have capped the flop I think. My most probable holding must be AK, AQ, QT, TT and then I'm not happy about the turn card.
My opponent could still be behind. QT and T8 are two possible hands but no hand he could have raised the flop with would he lay down now to a bet. My chances of taking down the pot on the turn are microscopic and besides I'm out of position. Since I caught neither a A, Q or a club I guess it's a check/fold. Don't believe the pot is big enough to waste two big bets to hunt a showdown of 6 outs where I could already be drawing dead.

Hand 2. Flop is fine, but I think I'm calling down from turn and on.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Raising the turn vs. Raising the river in Hand 2

I see some disagreement here, so I'm going to spell why I like waiting until the river to raise in Hand 2.

Assumption 1: The villain is loose enough and aggressive enough that we're still a favorite against his hand range even after the scare card falls on the turn and he bets into us again. So we want to put another raise in somewhere.

Assumption 2: A villain this loose and aggressive who is semibluffing on the turn will usually follow up with a river bluff if we just call on the turn and the villain misses his draw.

Reasons to wait:

1. We gain extra info. If (for instance) a diamond falls on the river, we may decide we are no longer a favorite and just call.

2. We usually make the same from a semi-bluff (see assumption 2), but we get an extra bet from a pure bluff.

3. A weak made hand (such as if villain is holding a 5 or a 2) may fold to a turn raise, but it will usually pay off on the river.