Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Default 1st hand of 1st deep stack tourney

This was from the 30+3 stars on Monday night. I have been mulling this one over for a few days now and I am still not sure I know what I should have done.

First hand so everyone has 5k chips. I am in the big blind.
I am dealt A 5 of spades. 4 limpers and the sb completes so I check. Flop is A A T with 2 diamonds. I check it through to the button who bets 100. sb folds and I reraise to 300 or so. One guy in the middle and the button both call. Next card is the 2 of diamonds. Pot is 1000 and I lead out for 800. MP folds and Button calls. River is a complete brick and I check. The button goes all in. What should I have done here?

Sorry I don't have the hand history but I am at work and don't have it handy. Once I get some answers I will post my reasoning and result.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: 1st hand of 1st deep stack tourney

Fold.

Also, I hate the c/r on the flop as it announces to everyone what your cards are; I prefer leading.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:33 PM

I dont lead out on the turn with two callers. One of them has the flush now (and the other probably has a better ace). I check and hope u get to see a cheapish river. Anyone giving you action can beat your hand right now.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:33 PM

I had this whole nice post typed out about how many hands you're behind.

Lead out the flop, check/fold the turn, check/fold the river.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM

You've got a nice deep starting stack. Check the turn. You can stand to call a small bet on the turn but I would be careful since you could get yourself stuck in the middle of the 2 to your left. Too early to be playing in no man's land.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:49 PM

This is an easy fold, to say the least. Villian is not moving in with something like KT. Villian has one of three holdings: An A with a better kicker; A flush; A boat. You cannot beat any of these. Villian is not bluffing. Period.

Even if Villian IS bluffing some of the time, he would have to be bluffing very often for you to be getting the odds to pick off his bluff.

I also don't like how you played the hand. Checking the flop was not a good idea. The field is large, so you could be up against a better ace. You don't want to risk giving a free card to someone drawing at a flush. You don't want to risk the flop getting checked around, since you will miss bets. You should have bet a decent amount and if you get called, you must play VERY carefully once the flush card hits on fourth street.

There are some hands where you are supposed to lose your stack - this is not one of them.