Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-16-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Getting tired of being white (7/11 trip report)

[ QUOTE ]

Then you clearly never learned how to interact with strangers. You are not supposed to go around calling poeple 'brother'. It probably will get you in a fight one day. You should learn the basic, simple principles of common courtesy or else you'll behave no better than all the loud-mouthed thuggish porch monkeys on welfare

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, missed another memo!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not appropriate. The comment was extremely fair.

[/ QUOTE ]
just jokes blarg. lets all marinate instead of fight brothers [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, my brotha. The following isn't directed to you or anyone specifically, by the way, but is just about the way a thread like this is shaping up. I knew the reactions would be sharp and over-defensive.

Funny thing is, this is a comment about social courtesies, which are mild things, but questioning people on these issues can make them go nuts.

That's reason enough to consider doing them right instead of brushing them off; all the poor white dudes feeling sorry for themselves because they might be construed as racists for social gaffes should be at least as indulgent with others as themselves, considering how easily hurt their feelings seem to be. People who don't like being thought of as racists should easily be able to understand that nobody wants to be approached in a racial fashion instead of just as a person, without having race even enter into it. A little courtesy is no effort at all and well worth it to prevent others from feeling just as bad as you might feel when caught out.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

EHHHH wrong. See thast the point, you are obv not comfortable around people from other racists, so you feel you have to change because of your preconceived notions. People know when you are pandering to them, and when you are just being yourself. if you truly dont stereotype people (which you obv do) you would be able to talk however you want to whomever you want and no one would say a thing...at least that is my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you viewed the world as colorblind, you would go around addressing EVERYBODY in the exact same manner. Do you go up to black people and say 'whatup brotha' and then go up to a 50 year old white person and say 'whatup brotha' as well? I highly doubt that.

Are you not aware that there are a reasonable amount of black people who would be offended by a being addressed to as 'brotha' by a white person? Can you not see how this can be percieved as disrespect?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now I know who the stupidest person in OOT is now. Congrats! And for the record, if anyone wanted to fight me because I called them bro or brother, that would meake them a far greater [censored] than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever actually interacted with significant amounts of poverty-sticken african americans living in slums? Try walking up to a large group of african americans in 'the hood' and saying 'whadup brothas'. see how they greet you

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should ask, since that pretty much was what my peer group in high school was. They never seemed to have a problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a profound difference between how you can act with your close friends and what you can say in front of them compared to how you can behave against complete strangers. i'd wager since they were your close friends, you could say absolutely anything to them. consequently, your arguement in this case is completely invalid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.

And it's mind boggling that anyone would even dream of applying the social rules among their high school buddies to the world at large. That's just crazy talk!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

...people like you don't deserve to live in america

[/ QUOTE ]

Missed that one, too! Dammit, who do I complain to about this crap? I'm not getting my memoes!!! I want an investigation!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me when I say that the guys I hung out with wouldnt have given a flying [censored] about someone saying brother to them, esp. in a situation like the OP. If you arent black yourself, then I am quite sure I have a better idea of a black guy's POV than you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

There definitely is no more than one type of black guy. And that would be the kind you met in high school. They're pretty much all alike.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Trust me when I say that the guys I hung out with wouldnt have given a flying [censored] about someone saying brother to them, esp. in a situation like the OP. If you arent black yourself, then I am quite sure I have a better idea of a black guy's POV than you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

the key word is 'the guys I HUNG OUT WITH'

they are your friends. you could go up to one and say "i stuck it in your mom's pooper last night". they'd take it as a joke and laugh, either that or just not care. the reason you can call them 'brotha' is because you know them as friends and can say what you please.

however, you can't go around saying just anything to strangers. many people would take that as offensive and find it to be disrespectful. you base your experience off calling other black people 'brotha' from refering to your friends in that manner. but do you/habe you really gone around speaking that way to totally random poeple?

[/ QUOTE ]

YOu really are dumb. I am telling you that I hung out with these guys and they wouldnt have cared about someone calling them brother..Im not just talking about what I said to them. And for the record, Ive called people of all ethnicities brother and never had anyone react negatively. Really, I am done with this discussion, because you are obviously an oversensitive assclown and people like you are bad for my blood pressure. As Antny was ssaying, the most patronizing thing you can do is act like you can only talk a certain way around someone because of the color of their skin. I doubt you are going to be able to grasp that concept.

PS 'the guys I hung out with' is not a key word. Do you see why?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that was absolutely rude. would you address another white guy as a "brotha"? I think not. you used a term that is generally regarded as one of "thier words". it has been my experience from observing blacks that they speak differently from white people and seem to take offense to white people addressing them in the manner they use to communiate amongst themselves. they feel it is disrespectful. just like the word 'nigga'; it is thier word

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, is that called stereotyping? Or racial profiling?

[/ QUOTE ]

stereotyping/racism

[/ QUOTE ]

so you honestly can say that you address both black AND white people with 'brotha'?

I use the title <font color="green"> 'sir or mister' </font> and talk to everybody the same way.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

EHHHH wrong. See thast the point, you are obv not comfortable around people from other racists, so you feel you have to change because of your preconceived notions. People know when you are pandering to them, and when you are just being yourself. if you truly dont stereotype people (which you obv do) you would be able to talk however you want to whomever you want and no one would say a thing...at least that is my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you viewed the world as colorblind, you would go around addressing EVERYBODY in the exact same manner. Do you go up to black people and say 'whatup brotha' and then go up to a 50 year old white person and say 'whatup brotha' as well? I highly doubt that.

Are you not aware that there are a reasonable amount of black people who would be offended by a being addressed to as 'brotha' by a white person? Can you not see how this can be percieved as disrespect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i do, that is my point. Maybe not an old lady because shes old and not male. I will admit i treat people of different ages differently. I dont call a 19 year old kid sir, nor do I call an 80 year old man brother (wait no, I take that back, I probably would). I know a "resonable" amount of black people and none have ever said anything about hte way I talk, and enjoy my company/vice versa....
Old 10-16-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Silly goose, there is no need for slurs when addressing someone of a perfect race.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm. "Thilly gooth." Interesting.